Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Just installed a IC Graphite Thermal Pad on a i7-8700K to see how it performs. I will not specify the OEM. I am sure you can Google this to find vendors.

This pad is reusable. No paste.

Very impressed with stress test thermals when comparing this product to Gelid non-conductive thermal paste. Max and average temps across all cores have shown an approximate decrease of 4 degrees C to 7 degrees C when running Prime95, Cinebench CPU test, and 3DMark CPU physics test.

The only downside to this pad is it is electrically conductive. You must take care when installing this product between the CPU heat spreader and the heatsink or pump assembly. I was very careful when installing the pump to the CPU to make sure this pad did not move off of the CPU heat spreader.

I am very impressed by this product.

Just thought to pass this on for anyone concerned about high CPU temps when gaming.

Regards

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

But will it run Minecraft?  

:TongueOut:

Ive seen some reviews on those Thermal Pads. They look easy enough to work with. Nice job.

HP Recommended

I tried a thermal pad in the Pavilion all-in-one that my kid uses. I thought it would be a fun experiment when I upgraded the CPU from an i5-7400T to an i7-7700T. 

Unfortunately if it did not work well in this case. I ended up having to remove it. The CPU was getting hot and the fan was running at a very high speed far too often.

After replacing the pad with traditional TIM, everything is fine.

HP Recommended

Hi JDJ,

You never know how things will go. 

I did quite a bit of research before trying the pad.

8700K (initial test CPU) temps after installing the pad dropped nicely. Upper 70 C to mid 70 C area. 

I just installed a i9-9900k in the same PC and can't believe how well the pad is doing. Many reviews of the 9900k stated it runs hotter than a 8700K.

I am getting stress test temps in the mid 60 degrees Celcius (64 C to 68 C across all eight cores) area now.

I was not expecting this result.

I am using a Kraken X62 on the CPU. The fans only ramp up when I run CPU intensive stress tests. Otherwise the system in super quiet.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.