Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 690-0067c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm using a HDMI to get audio and video to a Sony TV. A few weeks ago, coincidental with a GPU driver upgrade, my audio stopped working. In fact, it completely disappeared. Under Sound Settings -> Choose your output device, I only see "No output devices found."

I've tried loading older drivers for my RX 550, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Realtek audio drivers, I've rebooted countless times, I've spent hours googling to some solution, but I've found none.

Under Sound Settings -> Manage sound devices, I see "Realtek High Definition Audio" listed as an input device, but there is nothing listed under output. So it's not disabled, it just isn't there.

I can plug in my USB headphones and they work fine, and they show up as a playback device. The HDMI audio doesn't, however.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

Looking at all the specs for your PC, it appears to me that your PC's AMD HDMI audio device is missing.

The Realtek audio is for the external PC speakers.

See if you can get the AMD HD audio device to show up again by going to the device manager.

At the top of the device manager window, select the View tab and select the option to show hidden devices.

Then go down to the Sound, Video and game controllers device manager category and see if there is an AMD HD audio device showing up there in light shade.

If there is, right click on it and select Uninstall.  Check the Uninstall driver box.

Restart the PC and see if W10 reinstalls the device so it shows up as present and working in the device manager.

HP Recommended

Thanks, there was much useful information there. Unfortunately, it didn't fix my problem. 

I did check for hidden devices, and I have drivers for several headsets, Microsoft Streaming devices, Microsoft Trusted Audio Drivers, and Realtek. That's it.

I updated my RD 550 drivers again, this time with a "factory reset" to see if it did anything. It didn't.

I've also googled and looked for AMD HDMI audio drivers. Unfortunately, there aren't simple clear instructions on how to do that.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

There is an AMD HDMI audio device driver on the Realtek website you can try, but the graphics driver should have installed that driver.

It is the second file from the bottom on the link below.

https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/pc-audio-codecs-high-definition-audio-codecs-softw...

HP Recommended

I checked the link, tried to install the Windows ATI HDIM Audio Device driver, but after installing I get the message: "No Driver was supported in this driver package," then it just exits.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I don't have any other ideas for you to try, other than backing up your files and gamble on factory resetting the PC resolving the problem.

Have you removed and reinserted the HDMI cable?

HP Recommended

Yeah, I've tried unplugging and plugging back in the HDMI cable. Thanks again for the info. It at least points me in the right direction.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Hopefully you will get it figured out.

HP Recommended

Two things you can try. One is to use a different HDMI cable and another is to plug the TV into another device such as a laptop to see if it’s the TV or the computer. Also just Incase you didn’t, try different ports on both devices with the new HDMI cable as well. Also what listings are there for audio out? Something might have update causing the audio out to not be grouped and handled by a new name.

HP Recommended

I have a Dell laptop that's plugged into a different HDMI input on the TV. I'll try switching them, just in case. Okay, as I suspected, Settings --> Sound still shows no devices. I have had no problem with HDMI audio on my Dell Laptop going through the same Sony TV. I had audio earlier, but lots it, coincidentally, with a graphics driver upgrade. As I said, when I use my HP desktop, there are no output devices shown.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.