Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 870-080nz
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The BIOS says TPM device is Available and Enabled but the Windows Utility TPM.MSC does not find it.
I see no TPM device in the device manager.
I tried to clear the TPM from the BIOS, but no change.

Any idea?
Do I need to install a drivers ?

Is ther a possibility that my HP motherboard do not have any TPM ?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Check this thread out:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-OMEN-TPM-cannot-be-found/td...

(I will check this on my Omen later today - I have the same MoBo)

HP Recommended

Yes I read this other thread and tried the proposed solutions, but none of them worked.

The B update soft pack  did not work (my BIOS cannot be replaced by the proposed one).

the UEFI diagnosis tool could also not be installed.

uninstalling the driver is not possible since the device manager do not show the TPM.

I cleared the TPM from the BIOS configuration but  it changed nothing !

I will visually inspect my MoBo to try to find the TPM chip because I’m really beginning to doubt there is one !

But the BIOS allows to enable disable and clear it !

HP Recommended

Well, it's definitely here on mine:

krzemien_2-1583568154079.png

krzemien_1-1583568098855.png

So have to assume it should also be showing on yours.

Are you sure you have all the latest drivers installed on your PC?

HP Recommended

Thank you Krzemien.

What do you mean by "it's definitely here on mine:"

I unfortunetely cannot see the two pictures you uploaded... Are they detailed pictures of you motherboard showing the TPM chip ? Or are they screenshots of your DeviceManager or TPM.msc app showing your TPM is detected ? Do you really have the same IPM17-TP motherboard than me ?

Like I wrote, mine is not detected by the Windows 10 device manager nor by the TPM.msc app.

But my BIOS has a "Security" menu with a "TPM" section to configure it. This means it can handle it.

In my BIOS Security config, my TPM is said "Available" and "Activated". So I do not understand why Windows do not detect it...

But I continued my investigations opening my HP OMEN desktop trying to findout the TPM chip, and I think I found the issue:

Here are the facts and photographs (hoping I will be able to upload them):

My PC is a gaming PC HP OMEN 870-080nz

The MoBo is (according to HP support pages) a Thimphu motherboard. (This is the HP name of this MoBo)

The manufacturer is said to be Pegatron.

Here is the HP description for this product: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04790224

As you can see, ther is nothing in this MoBo description talking about TPM...

Except (maybe ?) the manufacturer's MoBo Id: IPM17-TP (rev 1.04 for me). Is the suffic "TP" for Trusted Platform ? Mystery...

Here is another interesting detailed vue of a part of this MoBo: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/128339iE2DA0A367B12D530/image-size/original?...

Here is a picture of my own motherboard:

Interesting motherboard partInteresting motherboard part

Consider the region on the right, near the FRONT USB 3.0 connector. (Also near a Texas Instruments 14 pins chip 65A9PCK G4 LVC14A)

There is an empty place with a missing chip (2x 14 pins):

Empty position for TPM (2 x 14 pins) chip ?Empty position for TPM (2 x 14 pins) chip ?

I noticed the Infineon TPM chips have exactly 2 x 14 pins...

Moreover, just near this missing chip is an undefined 11 pins connector labeled LPC_DEBUG.

This is interesting because it is known (cf wikipedia) that TPM uses the LPC bus !

LPC bus is for Low Pin Count bus.

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_Pin_Count
The Low Pin Count bus, or LPC bus, is a computer bus used on IBM-compatible personal computers to connect low-bandwidth devices to the CPU, such as the boot ROM, "legacy" I/O devices (integrated into a super I/O chip), and Trusted Platform Module (TPM)

That's why I think I found the issue ! My HP motherboard does NOT include the required TPM chip !

But the more interesting is that I presume I can use the LPC_DEBUG connector to add an external TPM module.

Because I noticed some TPM are available on the market on small expansion modules to be added on motherboard supporting TPM extension. Some of them appear to have exactly the same connector as the LPC_DEBUG of the IPM17-TP "Thimphu" MoBo !

Here is an example I found on e-bay:
MSI 914-4136-105 TPM 2.0 Module Infineon Chip SLB 9665 TT 2.0
ebay link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333266413447

Note that the 11 pins connector (2x6 minus 1) has the third pin missing on one row. Exactly like the LPC_DEBUG connector of my MoBo !

That's why I'm pretty sure this expansion module will be the solution to my issue !

I just ordered it and will confirm here if it was the solution as soon as I'll receive and test it.

Hope this is the point and that this will help other users of the IPM17-TP (Thimphu) motherboards.

Just wait and see...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.