Oddjob-JP
2 1 0 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Noisy fan on HP Omen 870-280

HP Omen 870 -280
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. First post here and first time owner of an HP Omen.

My HP Omen, purchased in Japan, comes with A.I.O watercooler for the CPU, and a GTX1080. One of the things I like about it is that it is amazingly quiet at idle. 

🙂

However, when playing a game with all graphics settings on ultra, naturally the fans kick in. That is fine of course, but the problem is the way the fans sound.

I'm not sure if this is the watercooler or the dual fans on the GPU, but either way, rather than just a steady, loud fan noise that gets more intense as the heat goes up, the fan noise fluctuates up and down. It sounds like it is trying to push air REALLY hard for 10 seconds, then it goes quieter for 10 seconds, then louder for 10 seconds etc.

Is this normal, and if so should I just get used to it? Or is there something I can do?

I tried downloading speedfan, but my fans don't show up on in speedfan at all. I guess I'm looking for a way to set my fan speeds on the GPU (and AIO watercooler) to run at a certain level once a particular heat is reached. I would rather have a loud, STEADY fan noise than an undulating one.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,746 12,733 829 1,462
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Oddjob-JP

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an OMEN by HP 870 - 280 Desktop PC. I read that while playing a game, the fans make a loud noise and the gets more intense as the heat goes up. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Does this happen while playing all sorts of games or only high end games with a lot of graphics?

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Shutdown the PC.
  • Disconnect all cables and devices from the PC. Disconnected the power cable too.
  • Press and hold the power button of the PC for 10 seconds and then release it.
  • Reconnect only the monitor, keyboard, mouse and the power cable.
  • Power on the PC.

Please try to play a game and check the performance. If the issue persists then please continue to perform the steps from this HP article. These steps help is fixing such fan related issues. NOTE: When the steps suggest you to perform a BIOS update, then please update the BIOS via this link.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Let me know how it goes. Cheers! 🙂

0 Kudos
Oddjob-JP
2 1 0 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response to my question. 

🙂

Just to clarify, I know that the fan will ramp up in speed (and therefore get noisier) when I play a graphics intensive game. I am expecting that. The problem is the way the fan speed changes up and down every 10 seconds. If possible, I would like the fan to maintain a constant speed (even if that is noisy).

Also, the steps you list above about disconnecting everything, then pressing the power button for 10 seconds, could you tell me what that will do. Is it some kind of reset?

I'll also check out the link you sent too.

Thanks again for your reply, I appreciate the support.

HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,746 12,733 829 1,462
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Oddjob-JP

You're welcome. 🙂

By powering off the PC and disconnecting the cables, if you press and hold the power button, it releases any static energy present in the computer. This is called a hard reset and it releases excessive status and refreshes CMOS settings.

A BIOS update can also help to stabilize the fan speed and produce less noise.

Keep me posted. Cheers! 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation