Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 875-034
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I should start by saying I'm a reasonably computer literate, but nevertheless generationally challenged, 63-year-old.   I bought an HP Omen Obelisk 875-034 desktop gaming rig for non-gaming reasons which I won't go into.  Anyway, I spent the last 2 days  – all weekend – trying to figure out why this box did not emit sound.  I upgraded the drivers.  Installed new drivers.  Made sure the media I was playing (e.g., a video) had the sound up.  Made sure my Windows 10 sound was up.  Made sure the built-in equalizer was turned up.  Made sure the right sound device was toggled.  The computer showed that it was producing sound:  sounds levels rising/falling.  Just... no sound coming out of the box.

So I got onto HP’s website, it has tools to use when you need to fix something, including sound.  Ran the tools.  Went to Windows website.  Ran their tools.  Got onto HP’s support chat, worked thru it with their folks.  Got onto Best Buy support chat, worked with their folks.  Nothing.  And this is the critical thing.  I told the HP and Best Buy folks exactly what computer I bought.  Went thru everything.  Nada.

Then I start to thinking.  And I plug a radio jack into the port and put on headphones.  Perfect sound.  And I get to reading on the message boards, what have you, and I’m about 90 percent sure this computer has no built-in speaker.  So, of course, I’m looking for sound to come out of a computer that… has no speaker.

I relate this story because I don't remember buying - other than AppleTVs - computers that don't have a built-in speaker (probably because I'm mostly a Mac guy and I don't buy Mac Minis).  Not that I need this computer to have a built-in speaker; it's easy enough to add external speakers.  Just, note to HP & Best Buy support:  If you're going to sell computers to oldsters like me, tell your tech support folk there's one more thing to put on the list, along with all the other ways users might sabotage their own experiences 😉

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I couldn't agree more, it's all in the details.

I also think this link should be stamped on the computer somewhere: 875-0034 

It actually says under the Audio section:

"NOTE: 

An internal speaker is not included with integrated audio. External speakers or headphones are required to hear sound."

*Just a community member, not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Yes.  this is when I had a great belly laugh at my own expense, when I finally read that very phrase that you point to.  Because I'm typically a Mac user I'm just used to everything but an AppleTV and a mini to have a built-in speaker.  I'm not throwing anyone under the bus.  My user error.  I just thought the help desks at HP and Best Buy, who were apprised of exactly the model of computer I purchased before we commenced the troubleshoot session, would be well-served to add, "Did you plug in an external speaker?" to the list of things that they might mention before they get to, "Delete the driver and reinstall a new one."

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.