Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 25L GT12-0020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone

New to the forum, so I apologize for rookie questions

Recently got a HP OMEN 25L 25L GT12-0020 (Intel i5 10400F)  it comes with 8GB DDR4 HyperX ram.  

I read in a few place over the web that the BIOS of the OMEN 25L is completely locked down as such we will not overclock the ram or upgrade the RAM to 16GB (e.g. 2 DDR4 8GB)

My questions as follow

1:  From a performance standpoint is overclocking from 2666mhz to 3200mhz make a day and night difference in term of the overall performance of the machine

2:   If I'm not overclocking, can I still pull out the 8GB DDR from the machine and put in a pair of 16GB in the machine and expect some level of pe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Its not a matter of you overclocking the ram, the ram would automatically be recognized as 3200 and run as such in that HP system.

But the fact you added your own ram, it should still be fine. I would run a tool like CPUz (zip version is fine) and read the current timings of the old ram, then match those timings with a new set of sticks. You should be good to go that way.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, OEM PCs generally limit BIOS overclocking options.

Question 1.

I don't believe you will see a big performance increase going from 2666 to 3200. Plus HP motherboards generally will not allow Intel XMP profiles.

Question 2.

The product you have purchased seems to be finicky with retail RAM modules. HP Part Surfer (Link) does not show 16 GB memory module purchase options, or any memory purchase options at all. HP factory authorized memory would be your best bet.

Try Crucial Memory (Link) for compatible memory upgrade options. Crucial will accept returns if the memory is incompatible with your motherboard.

You could try CPUID (Link) to get the memory module part number using the SPD tab. Then look for a 16 GB part at Amazon or Newegg.

Regards

HP Recommended

Yes Grzwacz has it right, just backing up what he said.

HP is not selling separate ram modules for the new 25l & 30l PC's. They figure if you want more ram at the higher 3200 rated speed, you should buy an Omen with it already installed. Everyone here who has chimed in with that series have the same complaint. Adding or replacing ram gets down clocked to 2400/2666, no matter what ram they install.  It is unfortunate since the series was touted as upgrade friendly to begin with.

Most newer games now days absolutely benefit from 16 or even 32GB of ram. That will be 'more' beneficial than the speed difference. I would still go for it, yes. Do buy a matched pair though, not separately purchased.

HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.  I'm not into overclocking (not yet at least).  My worry is that if I install 2 8GB sticks I bought elsewhere (e.g. Amazon, newegg) on the OMEN and it won't recognize it and the machine stops working.....

Based on what I read so far, looks like it is ok to install another set of ram but don't expect the rams will be at its advertised speed (e.g 3200mhz) because HP purposely locks it to 24000/26666

Thanks everyone for your input!

HP Recommended

Its not a matter of you overclocking the ram, the ram would automatically be recognized as 3200 and run as such in that HP system.

But the fact you added your own ram, it should still be fine. I would run a tool like CPUz (zip version is fine) and read the current timings of the old ram, then match those timings with a new set of sticks. You should be good to go that way.

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for the quick responses, much appreciated!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.