Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 30 l
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone. I purchased my computer about a month ago and I've had constant lag spikes whenever I play any type of online games constantly and I'm sure that is a problem with my PC because other people in my household using my wi-fi will not have any problems. Every 30 seconds or so I experience a spike lasting around 5 seconds, making any online gaming very difficult. I've tried connecting to a 2.4 and 5 version of my wi-fi. Updating all the drivers. Ending Omen Command center and turning off Bluetooth but the problem seems to still persist. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @Soy2 

Just a heads up, do post the full product number so we can better know what you have. Its in the HP Support Assistant or press Ctrl/Alt/Del for the info window to pop up.

Thats a tough one to track down as there are so many things that can cause it.

I can offer a few suggestions and hopefully it will help. Otherwise you might end up having to find the solution yourself through trial and error.

Which wifi card is installed? Go to the Device Manager and expand the Network adapters. The wireless card model should be at the top. 

While there, right click on it and choose Properties. Select Power Management tab. Uncheck the box for Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

Then go to Advanced tab. Find Channel width for 2.4GHz and change the value from Auto, to 20MHz Only. Same for 5GHz.

Turn off Location access in your privacy settings. Some users have reported this helped.

location off.PNG

One of the games you installed might be constantly connecting for updates via the web browser.

You might have another program or service running in the background that needs to be disabled. Could even be a 3rd party antivirus suite if you installed one. Open the Task Manger and if you highlight a column, it will show the highest percentages always on top (easier). Start with the cpu column. Then Network.

There are a ton more tweaks that I wont be able to cover that you will find on the net. But if none of that works, you ultimately might have to replace your Wifi card. Let me know which one you have.

HP Recommended

I have the realtek rtl8822ce, 802.11ac  

HP Recommended

OK so none of the suggestions above did anything?

Besides disabling BT, did you also try uninstalling the BT driver and test it?

As a last resort, you could change the Realtek WiFi card for something like an Intel Wireless-AC 9260 like I had to.

I had Realtek issues also. Make sure to uninstall both the WiFi and BT drivers before installing the new card.

HP Recommended

What is BT driver?

HP Recommended

So you mentioned you turned off Bluetooth in your first post.

BT = Bluetooth.

You would uninstall the BT driver in the Device Manager.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.