Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Obelisk Desktop 875-0014
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to upgrade GPU and/or RAM to improve performance for the X-Plane flight sim program.  My current specs are below.  What are my GPU upgrade options, and which makes more sense.  I don't want to spend too much $$.  Also, would a RAM upgrade be worthwhile?

thanks,

- Rob

OMEN by HP Obelisk Desktop 875-0014
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Slot 1: 16GB Kingston 2666MHz
System board: 84FD 00
System BIOS: F.11

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
Current Res: 2560 x 1080
Refresh Rate: 59

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

What are my GPU upgrade options?

Your system will handle the most current RTX 2000 series graphics cards.

You would need to simply measure the inside available space and make sure its enough room to handle what ever card you choose. You also need to be aware of your power requirements. You currently have a 500w PSU. Make sure what ever new card you get will not require more than that. Also make sure the available power cable will work. I dont know if yours has a 6 pin or 8 pin but if you don't have the correct plug or enough power, you would have to up grade the PSU to match.

I assume you need more video memory than what the current 3GB 1060 has available. I would look at something with 6GB or better.

Would a RAM upgrade be worthwhile?

You already have 16 GB of memory. You shouldn't need more than that for gaming.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

What are my GPU upgrade options?

Your system will handle the most current RTX 2000 series graphics cards.

You would need to simply measure the inside available space and make sure its enough room to handle what ever card you choose. You also need to be aware of your power requirements. You currently have a 500w PSU. Make sure what ever new card you get will not require more than that. Also make sure the available power cable will work. I dont know if yours has a 6 pin or 8 pin but if you don't have the correct plug or enough power, you would have to up grade the PSU to match.

I assume you need more video memory than what the current 3GB 1060 has available. I would look at something with 6GB or better.

Would a RAM upgrade be worthwhile?

You already have 16 GB of memory. You shouldn't need more than that for gaming.

HP Recommended

Thanks, good info.  That RTX 2060 looks like it might do the trick.  Just need to find a place that stocks it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.