Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Desktop PC 880-p0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So  I am currently on a downward spiral... I have decided to start upgrading my PC. First I'm making my PC's RAM that bit quicker... I'm currently trying to upgrade it from 16GB @2400MHz to 3600MHz (i have bought new modules that are specified at 3600MHZ or so i think...) but i once i installed them into the PC it came up in the task manager them running at 2400MHz. So i was wondering if i had to overclock them to that specified speed so i tried going into the BIOS but pre built PCS dont have this option to mess around with these settings. Then i remembered OMENs command center overclocking system. So i tried this but no RAM overclocking tool was there but i believe there is a newer version of this called OMEN gaming hub which does allow overclocking of RAM etc, so ive tried to download this and it required a few updates and its now trying to update my BIOS. Everytime i begin the update my PC signs my out and restarts then proceeds to ask me to update my BIOS again. Can somebody please help me ? im just trying to figure out if i need to send the new RAM back if its not what is specified? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @Androidz13!

I have reviewed the specifications of the memory and your motherboard will only support 2400 MHz memory.  Here is the Product Specifications page: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-880-000-desktop-pc-series/15776604/model/17229493/do...

If you look at the section titled "Memory" you will see that it specifies 2400 MHz.  HP doesn't build any XMP's into their BIOS/UEFI to allow for overclocking to 3600 MHz: https://www.pcgamer.com/what-are-xmp-profiles-and-how-do-i-use-them/

Even if they did there is no guaranty that the memory you choose will overclock that high.  The basic speed of memory modules is 2133 MHz.  HP has already overclocked it to 2400 MHz.  I don't recommend any of the third party apps that are available for this purpose.  I have had a bad experience with one of them.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Androidz13 , welcome to the Community.

What is the Product Number of the computer? I need this information to review the specifications of it. Please don't furnish the Serial # or other personal information. You can find the Product Number at the bottom of the page when you open HP Support Assistant.

HP Recommended

Hey @Old_geekster, The Product Number of my rig is 1QX18EA#ABU. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @Androidz13!

I have reviewed the specifications of the memory and your motherboard will only support 2400 MHz memory.  Here is the Product Specifications page: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-880-000-desktop-pc-series/15776604/model/17229493/do...

If you look at the section titled "Memory" you will see that it specifies 2400 MHz.  HP doesn't build any XMP's into their BIOS/UEFI to allow for overclocking to 3600 MHz: https://www.pcgamer.com/what-are-xmp-profiles-and-how-do-i-use-them/

Even if they did there is no guaranty that the memory you choose will overclock that high.  The basic speed of memory modules is 2133 MHz.  HP has already overclocked it to 2400 MHz.  I don't recommend any of the third party apps that are available for this purpose.  I have had a bad experience with one of them.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.