Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 25L Desktop GT12-0050na Gaming PC
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi looking for help on upgrading CPU Cooler fan on my 15month old OMEN 25L Desktop GT12-0050na Gaming PC

CPU  Intel Core i7 10700F 

MoBo - LGA 1200 (Socket H4)

I'm getting high temperatures when under load (when using MSFS2020 - Flight Simulator) 

idle around 35-50c

Load - 80-90c with some cores spiking at 99-100c (according to HWmonitor and Core Temp)

I was looking at what I can do to improve ventilation and removed the blocking panels in top grille and  changed Power Options/Processor power management/Maximum Processor state to 99%.

I'm now looking at new fans and discovered Noctua NH-U12A but I'm not sure it will fit. Unit height is listed as 15.8cm but when I measured space in the tower is about 15cm. Has anyone installed this in a 25L? Has anyone used another fan to improve temps? BTW I'm also looking at Noctua NF-P12 redux to go in the top grille. How have other 25L users improved temps?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I cannot answer your question about the fan fitting.  I have used Noctura 15mm fans in tight spaces and they are quality fans.

Another possibility:  Your CPU  may be going into turbo mode and there is not need for that.  In addition you probably have hyperthreading enabled and I am l guessing your are not a "miner" and dont need all 8 threads.

Disable turbo speed if an option in bios.

Disable hyperthreading.

Note that maximum processor speed is ignored if the minimum is left at %100

If the bios does not support disabling turbo then

if turbo is 4ghz and normal is 3ghz then set max processor state to %75 and be sure to set minimum to far less than that.

Use cpu-z to verify the speed state has changed.

Good Luck!

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Many thanks for your reply. I had set CPU power to max 99% but had left Min at 100% (smh). I've now set it at max 60 and min 40%. Temps are down to 50c at idle with a few apps including Flight Simulator in background. this rises to 85 under stress and individual cores peak momentarily at 95. Its much better and I don't seem to have lost any performance. I couldn't switch off CPU turbo or Hyperthreading in the BIOS.  CPU-z shows core speed at around 1695 at idle but it does spike to around 4600 but drops back.  I think I have a cooler CPU now. Many thanks for your suggestions. I'll have a play with settings and see if I can tweak it further eg move max back to 75%.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

It is unfortunate that the turbo and hyperthreading are no available in bios.

Also I was surprised to see that CPU-Z showed peaking above your upper speed limit.

There is another tool you can use:  Intel XTU 

I brought it up on my i9-7900x system and tried a few things

1 - Enable / Disable turbo boost.  It was grayed out on my system so no adjustment.

2 - Minimum CPU multipliers.  This actually worked.  I set the multiplier down to the lowest value, 33,

and CPU-Z showed the speed drop and it never went past the 33 multipler.

There was a strange bug:  Moving cpu #1 from default to 33 caused all the other cpu's to move to 33. BUT BUT

when restoring back to 40, I had to move #1 and also #10 core to 40 before all the other cores moved back to 40.

You will have to experiment.

set cores to minset cores to min

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Thanks for the Intel XTU tool I had a look and saw 'Intel Turbo Boost Technology' was greyed out for me. But I saw there was 'Turbo Boost Short Power Max Enable' I thought this enabled a boost for a short time however I now think it caps/limits the time/power used for a short time. Turning it off worried me for a while. Things got hot so I turned it back on (after taking the screenshot below).
I had a look at Ratio Multiplier but they are greyed I can't change them. I can only change:
-Turbo Boost Short Power Max
-Turbo Boost Power Max

Not sure I want to play with wattage!

IETU.png

Think I may go back to finding a fan.  As the tweaks haven't really solved it for me. I think it strange that HP put processors in PCs which can't be fully utilised as they get too hot!

I note all your comments and found them interesting and useful. Thanks again.

HP Recommended

As you have discovered the Omens like to run on the hot side.  I think the best cpu air cooler that you can fit in that case is going to be the Noctua U9S due to height restrictions in the Omen case.   I upgraded my i7 8700 stock air cooler to the Noctua U9S and the temps dropped dramatically and kept the thermal throttling in check.  Eventually I just ditched the Omen case for a better air flow case and it's one of the best upgrades that I could have made.   With my current case, the BeQuiet 802 mesh, I can fit much larger coolers in it, but the Noctua U9S keeps my i7 very cool in the new case so it's not necessary. I can run the i7 at max turbo boost on all cores indefinitely now after a little tweaking in the intel XTU app.   I tested it on Cinebench and the CPU stays at max boost for all cores throughout many rounds of Cinebench and will only reach max temp of 70c.  Gaming might hit low 50c on the cpu now.  With the old Omen case and stock cooler I used to hit over 90c within a minute of running Cinebench and even just gaming would lead to thermal throttling.   Bottom line, if you want to upgrade to a a larger cooler and set yourself up for future upgrades, you are going to need to do a case swap.

HP Recommended

Many thanks for your reply. I had a look at U95 but Noctua were giving it performance rating of 93 vs the NH-U12A with score of 169. I wanted lots of cooling. I will be looking at U9S. It is also quite a bit cheaper. And looks like it fits. Getting a new case would be quite a job for me so will bear it in mind. Thanks again.

HP Recommended

The NH-U12A is a great cooler, but unfortunately it won't fit in the Omen 25l case due to height clearance.   This has been discussed in detail about the best cooler that would fit in that case and general consensus is that the Noctua U9S is the way to go.   Keep in mind that you are going to have to remove the motherboard to put the back plate on for the Noctua cooler.   The Noctua U9S comes with one 92mm fan, but it allows for and I added a second 92mm Noctua fan onto my U9S cooler which shaves a couple of degrees in temp off. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.