Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 25L
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Randomly throughout the day, my new Omen that is less than a week old is freezing and rebooting, sometimes it doesn't reboot, it just get locked up and I can't do anything until I do a hard reset, any help would be greatly appreciated, I have installed every bios update and driver update both through HP Support Assistant and the HP website, no luck, thought it may be overheating, so I bought a new fan for the top of the case and lowered the CPU and GPU by 10C still having the same problem.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@CSM_Omen-25L

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

I understand that your HP Omen desktop is freezing randomly and locks up. Don't worry as I'll be glad to help,
To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Did you make any changes to the settings of your PC prior to the issue?
  • When was the last time it worked fine?

While you respond to that, let's run symptom tests.  Symptom tests use common issues to identify the root cause of the problem.
Select step: 6

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the f2 key.

3. On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI menu, click Symptom Tests.

4. Find the symptom that best describes your computer issue in the list. Type the corresponding number into the field at the bottom of the screen, and then press enter.

All Symptom Tests displayed

5. Wait while the tests run. An approximate time for each test displays on the Issue screen.

NOTE: 

You can cancel a test at any time by pressing any key.

6. Review the results on the Test Logs screen, and then write down the test type and failure ID (24-digit code) for when you contact HP Customer Support.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you Echo Lake for your response, I will run the Symptom Test as soon as I can, hopefully this afternoon, but to answer your question, I booted up the desktop new 08/02/21, and after installing the various programs I use for work, and all drivers and updates from HP Support Assistant and the HP website, it has never worked fine for more than 1 day, freezing occurs randomly, sometimes closing a program, others rebooting the system. But I will let you know what I find out when I run the test, thanks.

HP Recommended

Echo Lake, I ran the basic test(?) and the unit is slow or unresponsive(6), both passed with flying colors, any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

@CSM_Omen-25L

Thank you for posting back.

The last thing I can suggest trying to restore a computer back to the factory default, which will isolate whether it’s a software or hardware issue. 

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Just to confirm, if I restore to factory default, does that erase any of the programs I have installed, or files from those programs?

HP Recommended

@CSM_Omen-25L

Thank you for posting back. 

Performing system factory recovery will put your computer back to its original factory shipped condition. 

However, while doing the recovery there is an option to back up your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time.   

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.