Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

lol, those are your xtu scores to justify killing a warranty and spending hundreds of dollars? 200 points? ..too bad that can be just a simple back ground programming running . ive seen i9 10900ks bench xtu at 3200 so clearly my benchmarks are right near everyone elses except i have my warranty. and its not a bandaid fix at all lol anymore than buying a new case. i get it egos wont let someone else be right and you guys have youtube channels that need problems to over engineer and fix , but for everyone who wants to enjoy their purchase my way works...for those who want to spend more use yours. like i said this thread is too much. 

and no you didnt destroy your pc but yes you did swap one problem for another lol...you said so yourself,

" Everything was fine, except for this 90b error message. Since the BIOS allows for no advanced settings whatsoever, I had to acknowledge the error message on every boot. I solved the problem by connecting a chassis fan to the lc_pump connector, which had previously been free and not connected to anything, because I didn’t have an lc pump anymore. And voila, the error message on boot up is gone, but the chassis fan now runs at 100% all the time".

and you are clearly one of the more savvy pc users in here, but to the average pre build purchaser...its asking too much.

and hwsense...there 100% is ALWAYS wiggle room in a cpu power to output . thats like saying every cpu comes already dialed in for every rig. and anyone who overclocks knows this isnt the case. I watched some of your videos and have a hard time agreeing with you that the biggest problem with this build is the ram. lol

Ill just be over here enjoying my pc...lol, and i get it...my post isnt making any friends...but thats not why im here. I want everyone to have all the info so they can make up their own mind and try this before they pass the line of no return. or return. 

HP Recommended

Common Intel, hire this guy! We need someone to solve the power and heat issues, he has the answers! 

HP Recommended

sorry, already have a union elevator installer job. wouldnt want the pay cut. 

and this is an hp problem....not an intel problem.

HP Recommended

Honestly, at this point I consider you to be either a troll or completly ignorant. Normally I would just ignore you, but there might be people reading this, who have the same problem and believe you, so I have to set some things straight.

Firstly, I don't have a youtube channel. I am just a guy who bought an Omen 30L on a deal and was very unsatisfied with the stock cooling solution. The stock cooler is not able to handle an i9 10850k or an i9 10900k at stock settings. What you did is gimp your CPU. On purpose. Let that sink in. You bought one of the most expensive CPUs on the market. And then you set it to the level of a much cheaper CPU. If your goal is to save money, you should have just bought a cheaper system.

Secondly, your system is running way too hot. It should not reach 95c during a simple and non-stressful benchmark like XTU or CPU-Z. How hot does it get under prolonged stress? What happens during a cinebench or even prime95 test? Have your ever run a 3d mark? How is the score? Does it even survive 5 rounds of Intel burn test without thermal throttling? I doubt it. I don't know where you live, but if it is winter where you live, you will have a very big problem on your hands come summer. 

Thirdly, I don't care about the warranty because what I did will definetly prolong the lifespan of my CPU and other components. These chips can withstand up to 100c, which is tjmax, but it is not heathly to keep it there for longer periods of time.

Finally, my fan runs at 1200rpm when it is at 100%. That is about 18db. You can barely hear it. When your cpu and gpu fans run at 100%, which they almost always do when under load, it sounds like a 747 just started its engine. 

There are three ways to fix the Omen 30Ls heat problems: Gimp your CPU like that elevator installer did, transfer the components to a new case with a better cpu cooler or only play minesweeper on it.

HP Recommended

Guys easy... 

To be honest, the only proper approach to this is what @Nicodicken did and all the other people which gave this piece of sh... back to HP. It's clear that this is a design issues that there is a PC released which creates such a big noise. (Leave blower is my favorite description) If you release something like that you failed, simple like that, and customers should not accept that. All the people like us, which either work around it with Software settings or Hardware swaps support HP by doing their bad business. To be clear I criticism my own acting and as I said before I regret to buy the Omen 30L. Overall I favorite @Whiskeycharlie1 way, because in case of hardware issues he can simply send this disappointing Computer back to HP. However software adjustment is not a fix for me, this is just a workaround, we all know now that the Omen case as well the AIO provided by HP is simply not designed for the i9-10900K temps. For me the Software modification didn't work, I tried this already late in December... 
But If tomorrow my RTX3080 is failing I actually don't know what I should do, I guess building everything back to the Omen 30L case and report an warranty case. This is all so time consuming and again not worth all the efforts. That's why I'm coming to my conclusion, DO NOT BUY this computer, or give it back if you can do without a penalty.  Everything else will legit HP to continue this way. I unfortunately missed the the windows to give the computer back without loosing much money. therefore decided to go with the case and AIO swap, and praying the next 24month no other HW components will fail...
Again I really appreciate all your answers and help, for now my System is running fine but it's far away from be a normal Omen and I spent way to much money for it... But at least I have an RTX 3080 without supporting an eBay scalper but on the negative side I supported HP.... 

BTW, I still have not got any feedback from HP on my Ticket, maybe they expect that I call in and ask what I should do, this is just ridiculous and unbelievable... 

HP Recommended

So very true, I think we can all agree at this point that if GPUs were available at retail for everyone, very few people would have bought the Omen 30L, including myself and I specialize in modifying and playing around with pre-build's. 

But the situation is looking pretty grim and will not change for a long time, so I would always prefer to give my money to HP than to some bot loving scalper that transitioned from buying Yeezys to GPUs, cause you know there is money now in it. 

HP Recommended

I know this thread is older at this point but i just have to follow up here.

I have just gotten a 30l with a 3080 (10850k) and have been running into these temperature issues which have been driving me nuts! In Cyberpunk had been hitting high 80s-mid 90s and have been trying all sorts of fixes aside from replacing parts (I bought a pre built because i dont know what im doing so wanted to avoid that if possible).

I started to give up but then found this thread, turning off this turbo boost thing knock on wood has done the darn trick and im so happy, thank you! I turned on cyberpunk again after setting this up, and in about 15 minutes of running around to test the temperature never even crossed the mid 60s(!) let alone spiking up to 90 again.

based off of the "almost 20 degree difference mentioned" this doesnt seem too far fetched but it just feels to good to be true! A question from a person less versed in hardware, if anyone has time could you provide a quick explanation of what I am losing by going with this option? There is obviously a give and take with this option but im not seeing so far what exactly the negative ramifications are, i use the computer mostly for gaming and some dev work (in school for Comp Sci starting in a couple months for my Postbacc). I see it mentions "heavy computational work" but im not entirely sure what that would be referencing here.

Appreciate any guidance and thanks again for pointing this out!

HP Recommended

The short answer is, you give up a bit of your (cpu) performance. 

The long answer is: Your cpu normally operates at 3.6 Ghz. This is the core clock for all 10 cores. Since you are a comp science student I assume you know how a cpu works and what it means that it operates at 3.6 Ghz. With Intel Boost technology the cpu can overclock itself to 4.9 Ghz on all cores and 5.2 Ghz on 2 cores if it needs to. Furthermore it can boost the wattage output from 125W to 250W for a very short period (56 seconds) of time to deal with performance demanding applications. After that it goes back to 125W (or 170W in the case of the HP 30L) but stays at 4.9 Ghz. By disabling Turbo Boost your cpu will run at 3.6 Ghz all the time and not go to 4.9 Ghz. It also won't increase wattage to 250W. Of course that means that the cpu will never get to 90c again, but it also means you give up a good portion of your cpu performance. If you want to know how much exactly I suggest you do several benchmarks with Intel Boost on and off. I recommend 3d Mark Night Spy Test, which is available on Steam for free to test your gaming score and cinebench r23 which is free on Microsoft Store for your cpu score.

Since you use the PC primarly for gaming you may not notice the impact in performance in many games, especially in combination with an RTX 3080. The reason for this is, that most games are not very cpu depended when it comes to perfomance. However, games like Cyberpunk are very demanding. You should notice a slight drop in Frames per Second (FPS). I had Cyberpunk on 1440p, Ultra Settings, RT Ultra, DLSS Off and had around 50 FPS with Turbo Boost on. When I turned the Turbo Boost off my Frames dropped by around 10-15% overall. Not every game is as demanding as Cyberpunk so you may not notice a difference in other games, especially if you do not have a monitor that can display more than 60hz or more than 1080p.

HP Recommended

To the great explanation Pac-Man_ provided I can add, a few things. It really depends on what resolution you are playing your games, in other words what is the resolution of your monitor, if you are playing on 1080p, like myself and most people out there, the CPU taxation is a lot bigger compared to 1440p or 4K, on those higher resolutions the GPU takes the majority of the load and the CPU can be running at lower clock speeds without even being noticed. But at 1080p, the CPU is heavily involved, so higher clock speeds equal higher FPS in games, that's the major reason I prefer to have my CPUs overclocked to the maximum possible.

HP Recommended

Absolutely fantastic info from both of you thanks a ton. I am a soon to be student so not quite but I have a general idea of the above information so definitely vary valuable.

I have a 21:9 ultrawide so i play in 3440X1440, meaning based on the above comments some of the load may be taken off of the cpu anyway.

Since posting here I actually did end up doing 3dmark and my perfectionist brain didnt like seeing the numbers go down, so i reverted the settings. Since then i did some more research and have undervolted my cpu by around 110 which has been stable and allowed me to keep close to the same MHz. My temperatures are better for sure, when just surfing the web around 44-48, when playing cyberpunk seems to bounce between high 70s and mid/low 80s.

I am still not over the moon about those temperatures but at least its shooting up to 96-97 anymore, im wondering if based off of your responses it might make sense for my use case to disable turboboost to keep the temps lower...i see a lot of conflicting information about "safe" cpu temperatures, it seeeeeeems like where i am at should keep the cpu from wearing quickly but its like right at the edge. Die is set to 100 by default but the general consensus based off of reading threads/articles etc is that gaming it should not really cross 80-85 which i still do hit at times.

Was looking into cooler replacement as well as ive seen some success stories replacing the stock cooler but the how-to's seem pretty intensive so will probably hold off on doing that unless i really get annoyed with it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.