Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
GT13-0079na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I'm considering purchasing an omen 30L (GT13-0079na) but I'm concerned about something I have read that may or may not apply to this model and I would like to know for definite before proceeding if possible please.

The above model is configured with 16Gb RAM @ 3200mhz, I believe one criticism has been that if I choose to upgrade the ram to 32Gb and opt not to purchase the RAM directly from HP the speed will drop down and will run much slower as XMP profiles are locked out in BIOS and will only accept upgrade modules supplied direct from HP if I wish to run at the full 3200mhz.

Can I get confirmation please as to whether this is true or not with the above model / current BIOS ver?

And also is there a link available to the memory (Kingston Hyper X Fury RGB) to purchase direct from HP

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Katashtrophie , welcome to the Community.

This is a peer to peer help forum. The only presence that HP has on it are the Admins and the Mods. Otherwise, none of us works for HP.

I can tell you that HP doesn't normally add XMP's to the BIOS/UEFI.  The speed of the memory is based on the manufacturer's specifications.  HP owns the HyperX brand. Your best option is to contact HP Customer Support to if they sell memory upgrades for 30L series or if you have the option, upgrade when you make the purchase.   The memory that comes standard with this model is DDR4-3200: https://www8.hp.com/h20195/V2/GetPDF.aspx/c06957437.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Depends on your exact model, if its AMD , you can use ryzen master to change your speeds to normal rates. If its Intel, there is a way just look up on youtube 🙂

HP Recommended

@dmadden30 

Thank you for the information.  I, personally, don't recommend any third-party apps for overclocking because I have had some bad experiences with them and I have been doing this for a long time.  I don't want someone to have problems and blame HP for it.  Most members coming here for help don't have the expertise that you or I have with computers.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Exactly, Ryzen Master is great and easy to use. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for everyone's replies, I opted to purchase a different brand PC in the end (although I do own an omen 17 laptop.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.