Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I have ordered this PC from HP.  As many others have done, I opted to forgo extra RAM since HP charges a premium for it.  I've owned an Omen 17 laptop for awhile, and at first I was told "you can't add this or that, it's not compatible with HP Omen laptop, etc.", turned out none of that was true, I was able to add any off the shelf NVMe SSD and RAM sticks I wanted, no problems.

Long story short, I have read, at least on the Intel versions, that the 30L desktop does not readily accept any RAM sticks not sold by HP and maintain 3200MHz without some work-arounds.  Is this same issue true of the AMD motherboard and BIOS?  I was planning on buying Kingston HyperX 3200MHz like what is supplied in the computer.  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So, I decided to forgo all the Ryzen Master sorta-kinda not-really "overclocking" the memory stuff and just see what happens.  I purchased a stick of 8Gb 3200MHz CL16 RGB HyperX memory appearance-wise identical to the factory DIMM.  Installation was as simple as clicking it in.  As expected, the BIOS has nothing about XMP profiles, so nothing to see/do there.  Upon booting into Windows 10, the RGB works flawlessly.  The memory down-clocked to 2400MHz as expected. 

I had run 3DMark's TimeSpy benchmark prior to the RAM install.  On my Omen 30L equipped with a Ryzen 5 3600, 8Gb RAM (factory) and RX 5700XT, it scored 8756 overall, Graphics 9379 (Test 1-64.17fps, Test 2-51.62 fps) and CPU 6365 (21.38fps).

After installing another 8Gb (16Gb total) and it slowing to 2400MHz, the system scored as follows:

Overall: 8807, Graphics 9381 (64.09 fps/51.69fps), CPU 6540 (21.97fps).

Long story short, I don't think the speed change is worth worrying about.  Just keep calm and upgrade on!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Yes its the same situation, you will have to use Ryzen Master or buy even more expensive ram through HP.

HP Recommended

I'm not opposed to using Ryzen Master since it's AMD's utility, but it's been quite awhile (Slot 1 days) since I did any "overclocking".... Is it just a matter of putting in the desired memory speed (3200MHz)?  Thanks!

HP Recommended

Yes, super simple under 5minutes task, do a quick search on YouTube, I have a step by step tutorial on the memory only.

Just remember to be careful and don't miss a step. Also as the community advises, need to warn you, do it on your own risk. 

HP Recommended

I appreciate the advice.  Not sure what "risk" there is, since the memory is designed to run at that speed and we're just overcoming a BIOS limitation, correct?

HP Recommended

For me there is no risk and I have done it on a few of my desktops, but the community guidelines here are that I have to put a disclaimer if I am providing an advise of this type 😅

HP Recommended

I found your video, good stuff, I saw in the comments some folks ran into issues with Omen Command Center.  It was unclear to me if the solution was to uninstall it before using Ryzen Master to apply the "fix", then uninstall Ryzen Master and re-install OCC... Is that correct?  Also, what would you expect the HyperX 3200MHz to default to without using Ryzen Master, 2666MHz?  Thanks for all your assistance!

HP Recommended

Yes you understood it correctly, uninstall OCC, install Ryzen Master, apply the correct memory speed, save, reboot, uninstall Ryzen Master, install OCC.

Your 3200mhz memory will default on 2400mhz if no XMP is applied,if you have 3600mhz memory, that would default to 2666mhz. Let me know how it goes. 

HP Recommended

So, I decided to forgo all the Ryzen Master sorta-kinda not-really "overclocking" the memory stuff and just see what happens.  I purchased a stick of 8Gb 3200MHz CL16 RGB HyperX memory appearance-wise identical to the factory DIMM.  Installation was as simple as clicking it in.  As expected, the BIOS has nothing about XMP profiles, so nothing to see/do there.  Upon booting into Windows 10, the RGB works flawlessly.  The memory down-clocked to 2400MHz as expected. 

I had run 3DMark's TimeSpy benchmark prior to the RAM install.  On my Omen 30L equipped with a Ryzen 5 3600, 8Gb RAM (factory) and RX 5700XT, it scored 8756 overall, Graphics 9379 (Test 1-64.17fps, Test 2-51.62 fps) and CPU 6365 (21.38fps).

After installing another 8Gb (16Gb total) and it slowing to 2400MHz, the system scored as follows:

Overall: 8807, Graphics 9381 (64.09 fps/51.69fps), CPU 6540 (21.97fps).

Long story short, I don't think the speed change is worth worrying about.  Just keep calm and upgrade on!

HP Recommended

If you are happy with it, its all that matters, but in my testes, with 3200mhz memory compared to the 2666mhz, I am getting on average 3 to 5 more FPS across all games. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.