Jedimo
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Omen 870-224 Power Supply Question

OMEN by HP 870-200
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just got the Omen 870-224 on sale at Best to replace an 8-year Dell XPS I've been Frankensteining for years. Happy with the machine, but when I went to put in my SSD as my main drive I see a bunch of SATA connections, but no extra power connection for the drive. Does the power supply have one I'm not seeing? Are there other options to power the second hdd? I really don't want to buy a new power supply for a new computer, but I don't understand why I would have all the connectors for more drives and no power options. Any help is appreciated. Right now I'm only running on the 240gb ssd until I figure out how to power up the 1tb hdd without unplugging another component. Thank you. 

- Jedimo

3 REPLIES 3
Level 12
Level 12
5,780 5,768 545 1,203
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

That is very unusual.

There should be two or three SATA device power connectors on one power supply (PS) cable. Check the unused PS cabling for a second SATA power cable.

The SATA data cable is point to point. You would need a second data cable.

Tom

Tom

0 Kudos
Jedimo
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Am I confusing the two? I must mean the data cable then. It is the smaller of the two. Should I just get a pci-e sata card to plug the other drive into? 

0 Kudos
Level 12
Level 12
5,780 5,768 545 1,203
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Yes, you are right.

The smaller connector is the SATA data cable. Get a SATA3 (6Gb/s) cable and you are in business.

You could do a PCIe card but it is not needed.

Tom

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation