Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 870-224 i5-7400 GTX1060
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I plan on upgrading my 8GB RAM and have seen posts that this machine has 2 slots with a max of 16GB. Im not sure if that means each slot has 8GB capacity for a total of 16GB or if that means that I have 16GB per slot for a total capacity of 32GB. I did a system scan with Crucial and it identifies that I can get up to 32GB RAM (16GB on each slot). Before I purchase 32GB, I just want to be sure this is correct.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Fatsbrown 

Its specs

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c05389962

Ram upgrade information

• Dual channel (one DIMM per channel) memory architecture
  • Two DDR4 UDIMM (288-pin) sockets
  • Supports PC4-17000 (DDR4-2133)
  • Supports 4 GB and 8 GB UDIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems
    note:
    32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.
  • Supports up to 16 GB (unbuffered) on 64-bit computers

It has 2 slots, each slot supports 8GB max therefore total is 16GB (2 x 8GB)

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Got it- So the Crucial scan that informs I can use 2 16GB cards for a total of 32GB would be incorrect?  

HP Recommended

Hi, @Fatsbrown 

Theoretically the PC should support 64 GB of memory with 4 memory slots, so the PC should support 32 GB of memory with two memory slots, and I would lean in favor of the Crucial report being correct.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/97147/intel-core-i5-7400-processor-6m-cache-up-...

I have a Dell Optiplex 7020, and the Dell manual indicates the max is 4 x 4 GB of memory.

The Crucial report indicated the PC could take 4 x 8 GB of memory, which is what I expected it to indicate.

I knew for a fact that the Intel 4th gen processor and chipset supports 32 GB of memory, so I decided to buy 2 x 8 GB and it worked just fine.

Then I went ahead and bought the other 2 x 8 GB of memory and now am happily running 32 GB of memory with no problem.

You could do the same thing...Buy one 16 GB chip and add it to the existing one, and if it works, then buy the second one.

I don't think you save a whole lot of money buying an individual chip versus the kit.

Actually, you save a penny buying the memory separately, but I suppose you would have to pay more for shipping.

The other thing you can do is enter the part number on Amazon and see if you get it cheaper and they usually have free shipping.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.