Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen Gaming Desktop 870-224
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Okay so i got this computer just so i can play the sims without it crashing! I used to love sims 3 but it kept crashing when my community got to big, FORCED me to go to sims 4 ok so i am liking sims 4 sure. 

Yesterday i got 2 expansion packs and 3 stuff packs for my sims game! NOW it has crashed like all the previous versions again, I thought this PC would be good enough but i am afraid i need to upgrade to more RAM?  Someone at the Best Buy store told me that this computer could handle the sims NO PROBLEM!!!! talking about its just 1's & 0's 

What do i need to do do ya think to make sure this does not happen again? it NEVER crashed nor ran slow when i didn't have expansions packs, uuuggghhhhh, 

I can't believe this is happening i just want my game to run fast at normal speed, on this $1,000 computer i bought JUST for the Sims!!! 

Oh and i;ve had the computer for about 3 years now... and my son likes to play ROBLOX on it, but i made him stop cause i think he is getting viruses on my computer? i run Norton but they can't find anything, says everything is OK? I don't know can people hack on you on ROBLOX? 

But this is about the computer, i think i remember upgrading my ram on previous computers back in like 1999  on windows 98!! LOL I'm sure i can do it now, omg this sucks... Is there anything i should know about before i try to buy RAM? Also it is sold out on amazon, ram cards are sold out!!!

ALSO what is the Maximum amount of RAM i can put in this thing? 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@TeflonBarbie , welcome to the Community.

I hear what you are saying!  However, like everything else in life, computers have their limitations.  Your computer is 3 years old and it hasn't upgraded.  The game that you are playing, by your own admission, has had several expansion packs added.  They normally increase the video quality with these expansion packs.  This puts a lot of stress on the processor, memory and video card.  I don't mean to be disrespectful, simply stating the facts! 😉  Frankly, there isn't anything that you can do to improve performance other that upgrade the processor, memory or video card.  The memory is much easier, trust me!

You can upgrade the memory to 16 GB: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-870-200/13687063/model/15741160/document/c05389962

Look at the section titled "Memory upgrade information" to see this information.

Here is the memory that is recommended by Crucial Memory: https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/omen-870-224

They show the maximum memory as 32 GB, but you have to go by HP's specifications.  HP has their motherboards made to their specifications and use them in different models.  You should run CPU-Z to find the manufacturer and timings of the current memory: https://download.cnet.com/CPU-Z/3000-2086_4-10050423.html

You can find this information in the section titled "SPD".  Once you have this information, you can contact Crucial's Tech Support to see if the current memory will be compatible with their upgrade.  If not, you have to replace the current memory.

Another upgrade that would increase system performance considerably would a Solid-State Drive (SSD).  You would have to replace the Hard Drive (HDD) with the SSD.  You can scroll down towards the bottom of the page to see the SSD's that are recommended by Crucial.  Crucial is the retail division of Micron Corporation; one of three major chip manufacturers.  They make excellent products.

The easiest way to upgrade to the SSD is by using a USB to SATA adapter: https://www.startech.com/en-us/hdd/usb3s2sat3cb

You would connect the SSD to the computer using the adapter.  Then, install a cloning software on the original HDD and run it.  It would ask for the Target Drive and you select the SSD.  Once the cloning is complete, you shut down the computer and remove the HDD and install the SSD.  Go into the BIOS/UEFI and set the SSD as first boot and reboot.  The SSD should be the new boot drive.  You would see a much faster boot time.

I know this is more information than you wanted, but I have been gaming for many years.  I guaranty that the games I run today would not run on my computer I had 3 years ago.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.