Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
870-244
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Bought my Omen 870 with only 1 HDD. It was the only option I had at the time. I want to add a SSD as the boot drive. Looks like HP has some SSDs now but they are not on the website that I could find. Anyway, is there a specific 2.5"-3.5" mounting bracket that I need to get to fit correctly? Or can I just use any random generic one? I really can't find much information on upgrading online and just want to make sure that I do it correctly. Thanks in advance for the help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello  @Bradyj23

As far as SSD's are concerned, you don't need to find an HP part number specifically and your system doesnt have an option for SSD in the specs. So any brand will work.

But it looks like yours uses a standard 3.5 inch HDD with only guide screws added to fit the bay. So yes, you will need a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter caddy. The mounting hole position is standard on all drives so any standard caddy should work.

You will need to purchase another sata cable and some more guide screws if you plan on using both drives.

(Check to make sure there is a power connector available for the second drive also).

But, I dont know where you will find the guide screws to purchase.

As far as I know, they only come with the HP PC but no extra set included.

You might have to get creative with a regular screw and washers.

The 2.5 inch SSD will take standard m3 screws but usually, you will have to purchase those separate as well.

Hope that helps a little.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello  @Bradyj23

As far as SSD's are concerned, you don't need to find an HP part number specifically and your system doesnt have an option for SSD in the specs. So any brand will work.

But it looks like yours uses a standard 3.5 inch HDD with only guide screws added to fit the bay. So yes, you will need a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter caddy. The mounting hole position is standard on all drives so any standard caddy should work.

You will need to purchase another sata cable and some more guide screws if you plan on using both drives.

(Check to make sure there is a power connector available for the second drive also).

But, I dont know where you will find the guide screws to purchase.

As far as I know, they only come with the HP PC but no extra set included.

You might have to get creative with a regular screw and washers.

The 2.5 inch SSD will take standard m3 screws but usually, you will have to purchase those separate as well.

Hope that helps a little.

HP Recommended

That helps a lot. Ive read about the screws so should be a fun search. Thank you very much.

HP Recommended

Well I've already purchased an HDD so I'm sticking with it.I'll keep the system on drive C And route all my personal data to the new drive.The tower came with 6 screws,couldn't figure out what they where for,hopefully they'll fiit right in.I'm very pleased with my purchase.Thank you foor your time and input!

HP Recommended

The tower came with 8 screws wich worked perfect locked right in.NOW I want to invest in what he did a SSD for Boot Windows Microsoft and HP .So your Info Helped me Too. Thank You

HP Recommended

If you have the 870-244 tower (or other model) with the Thimphu-K motherboard, you also have an M.2 NVMe slot.

Here's the link to the stats of the mobo. Its located under the video card (socket 3, key M).

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-870-200/13687063/model/15741069/document/c05369438

If you havent bought an SSD yet, I would consider that.

HP Recommended

I haven't bought one yet. How do I ultilize the M.2 NVMe slot instead of adding an SSD?

HP Recommended

@Kenneth_Rhineha

You probably better give me the full product number of your desktop, just to make sure its a Thimpu board.

The 870-2xx series came with more than one kind.

Edit: If you dont find the PN on a sticker on the back of the case, press the power button and rapidly tap the F1 key for sytem info. https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443193

Or in Windows, open the HP Support Assistant.

HP Recommended

OK I did some reading and I have some conscernes.First of all the PN is Z5M59AA#ABA. My conscernes are that by enableing the M.2 with a card , possibly taking away exspress lanes from the SATA and having to reformat the two hard drives that exsist to AHCI I beleive it is. Thank you for your time and effort.

HP Recommended

First... Be sure to make your HP USB Recovery Media onto a usb thumb drive before you do anything!

Creating recovery media

by enabling the M.2 with a card , possibly taking away express lanes from the SATA?

It shouldnt affect anything. If it did affect the board, most likely the last sata port would be disabled. Only a problem if you intended to add an HDD to that port.

having to reformat the two hard drives that exist to AHCI?

You would need to reformat the HDD that the operating system exists on.

But only if it causes a conflict with booting.

You might be able to simply disconnect the Main drive from the first sata boot port and move it to another port and make sure the SSD is chosen as the 1rst boot drive in the bios.

Before all of this, I would update the Intel Platform ME Firmware. sp84244.exe

Then run the UEFI Diagnostics on Extended Tests to make sure there is no hardware failures reported.

HP How to use Diagnostics

Disconnect all the other drives before installing Windows to the SSD.

I suggest clean installing to the SSD via the MS Media Creation Tool, then installing the drivers from the HP site.

Also before ordering a drive, I would check the m.2 port to make sure the standoff is installed. If not, is the screw hole in place to add the standoff? If it is but the stand off is missing, you will have to order one and the screw to mound the ssd with.

m2 standoff.JPG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.