Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Desktop PC - 880-001nl

I have this omen 880 with ryzen 7 1700 cpu. I would like to install a better processor, for example a ryzen 3000 series. Is this possible? I have updated the bios of the motherboard (higos 8309), but in the bios updates there is no information about the compatible CPUs.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Funkyo

My humble thoughts on this subject.

Go with a B550 or X570 uATX MB if you are replacing the MB and you want to stay with the AM4 socket. Or you can transition to the AM5 socket using Ryzen 7000 CPUs. But will also need to upgrade to DDR5 RAM.

You can do a Ryzen 5000 series CPU if desired.

Check the AM4 socket MB for 5000 CPU support. Many of these MBs, only supporting 3000 series CPUs when they have an older factory BIOS version installed, have a BIOS flashback function (no CPU installed) if you need to update the BIOS to support 5000 series processors.

You won't have a HP PC anymore. You will have to buy a new Windows product key.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Funkyo,

Welcome to our HP User Forum!

You raised an excellent question. Your OMEN By HP Desktop PC - 880-001nl (1QY46EA), according to: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05538436, is fitted, as you confirmed, with a Higos motherboard (SSID: 8309) and compatible with these AMD processors:

NonSequitur777_0-1676300788770.png

The best/fastest CPU being the AMD Ryzen 7-1800X (3.60 GHz to 4.00 GHz, 8-Cores, 16-Threads), which is plenty capable for (ultra) high gaming performances, especially when paired with a high-end graphics card, such as this User example: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/55237023.

I haven't seen any OMEN by HP Desktop PC 880-p0xx's with a Ryzen 3000 series processor online.

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I already knew that it is compatible with the 1800x, but in terms of performance, it would be just a waste of money compared to the 1700, because I would gain 2-3fps and still have the processor bottlenecking my video card. I guess I'll throw higos (which is also full of limitations with a shameful and completely limited bios that doesn't even adjust fan speed or only enable xmp) in the trash and put another micro atx motherboard, so I don't no longer have all these limitations. it is shameful to pay so much money for a pc and then not be able to upgrade it. what's the point of the 2021 bios update if it doesn't allow you to mount cpu of that year? among other things, the higos is based on b450, so it would be co compatible with the 3000 ryzen series. yet another disappointment from hp.

HP Recommended

@Funkyo,

For all intents and purposes, the OMEN By HP 880-0xxx/1xxx desktops are considered dated -over five years old, and fewer company resources -if any at all, are dedicated to support this PC platform.  That is unfortunate, but it is a market/business-driven practice quite commonly applied in the PC manufacturing industry.

I wish you well finding a solution that meets your needs.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

bios update or not, it would seem, that is not the case unfortunately
I doubt it's b450, different sources say otherwise
but whatever

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05521044

by the way you have a newer model of this HIGOs 2 motherboard, and still not this series

Motherboard Specifications

Motherboard description

Review the motherboard product and network name.

• HP name: Higos 2

• SSID: 84F6

Review the chipset specification of the motherboard.

AMD Promotary 2 B350

Processor upgrade information

Review the processor upgrade specifications of the motherboard.

• TDP: up to 105 W

• Socket type: AM4

The Higos 2 motherboard supports these processor upgrades:

• AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (Pinnacle Ridge) 3.7 GHz base frequency, 4.2 GHz burst frequency, 8 cores and 16 MB cache, TDP=105 W

• AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (Pinnacle Ridge) 3.2 GHz base frequency, 4.0 GHz burst frequency, 8 cores and 16 MB cache, TDP=65 W

• AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (Pinnacle Ridge) 3.4 GHz base frequency, 3.8 GHz burst frequency, 6 cores and 12 MB cache, TDP=65 W

another concern you need to consider
if you replace the motherboard you might have connector problems this happens sometimes

we had a little better luck with the tampa 2
although it ended up not going any further

motherboard specifications, Tampa2

• TDP: up to 95 W
  • Socket type: LGA 1151
  • Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
    Processor
    TDP
    Integrated Graphics
    Intel Core i7-8700K (Coffeelake) 3.7 GHz, Hexa Core
    95 W
    Integrated HD Graphics 630
    Intel Core i7-8700 (Coffeelake) 3.7 GHz, Hexa Core
    65 W
    Intel Core i5-8400 (Coffeelake) 2.8 GHz, Hexa Core
    65 W

F.30 Rev.A

-Added the support for Intel I7-9700K processor

motherboard specifications, Tampa2

• TDP: up to 95 W
  • Socket type: LGA 1151
  • Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
    Processor
    TDP
    Integrated Graphics
    Intel Core i7-9700K (Coffee Lake R) 3.6 GHz, Octa Core
    95 W
    Intel UHD Graphics 630
    Intel Core i7-8700K (Coffee Lake) 3.7 GHz, Hexa Core
    95 W
    Intel UHD Graphics 630
    Intel Core i7-8700 (Coffee Lake) 3.2 GHz, Hexa Core
    65 W
    Intel UHD Graphics 630
    Intel Core i7-8600K (Coffee Lake) 3.7 GHz, Hexa Core
    95 W
    Intel UHD Graphics 630
    Intel Core i5-8400 (Coffee Lake) 2.8 GHz, Hexa Core
    65 W
    Intel UHD Graphics 630

or

F.50 Rev.A

Fix and enhancements:

1.The first 19H1 softroll production BIOS.
2.Added the supports for Intel CFL-R I7-9700K/I5-9400F/I7-9700F processors.
3.Added the supports for Intel CFL-R processors(R-0 Stepping) + Optane combination.
4.Provides improved security.

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

but I'm certainly not going to replace it with another card neutered by hp. I will only keep the case because I like the shape. I've already replaced the power supply with a better quality one (750w gold) and the video card with a gtx 1080ti. I also changed the ram, but unfortunately it's not possible to make them work at the right speed because the bios is completely castrated by hp and doesn't allow you to do anything. I also replaced the heatsink with a liquid aio. I will change the motherboard with a good quality micro atx and finally I will be able to mount a new cpu and take full advantage of the ram and video card. and above all being able to control the fans.

HP Recommended

Hi Funkyo

My humble thoughts on this subject.

Go with a B550 or X570 uATX MB if you are replacing the MB and you want to stay with the AM4 socket. Or you can transition to the AM5 socket using Ryzen 7000 CPUs. But will also need to upgrade to DDR5 RAM.

You can do a Ryzen 5000 series CPU if desired.

Check the AM4 socket MB for 5000 CPU support. Many of these MBs, only supporting 3000 series CPUs when they have an older factory BIOS version installed, have a BIOS flashback function (no CPU installed) if you need to update the BIOS to support 5000 series processors.

You won't have a HP PC anymore. You will have to buy a new Windows product key.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.