Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 880-059ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello HP and Forum,

Recently I got a used 880-059ng minus GPU and Memory.  I did have parts around so this was really good.

Now to the problem that I was not (yet) able to solve:

Since the system is red illuminated and got the glas side panel I got some RED LED memory. Turns out that the system is only running the memory at 2166 speed and not on the supported 2400

Memory I tried:

Patriot Viper LED rot PVLR416G266C5K (I know that this is a 2666 kit)

TeamGroup Delta LED rot TDTRD416G2400HC15ADC01

With CPU-Z the Viper is not specifically listing 2400 speed under SPD the TeamGroup is listing XMP-2400

I learned that HP chose not to support XMP in bios but I should be able to tune memory using the Omen Command  Center. This option is not available. 

I would like to keep either memory as it just look better than HP defalt memory.

Any pointers as to settings I need to switch on/off to get the supported 2400 speed?

Thanks

Louis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@LouisQ, I have had 5 Omen laptops and desktops.  All of them came with HP Omen Command Center installed.  None of them has ever had an option to tweak the memory; only the processor.  In fact, until my most recent Omen with an i7-8700K installed, the OCC didn't even have the OC'ing for the processor.  If you want to tweak the memory, you can try Intel's Xtreme Tuning Utility.  I used it to OC my i7-8700K to 5.0 GHz.

As for the memory not running at 2400.  There is a possibility that the memory is not compatible with the slots.  I suggest that you contact the manufacturer's Tech Support to see what they have to say.  HP doesn't normally test the exotic gaming memory to assure that it is compatible.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Greetings LouisQ,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

You cannot use XMP memory profiles if the HP BIOS on your PC does not support XMP.

There are no hidden BIOS settings to allow XMP on HP systems.

You can do some overclocking using HP provided software on some newer HP systems. This software usually has overclocking functionality on some 8700k systems.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hello Grzwacz,

thanks for having a look and posting a reply. Much appreciated.

The issue I am faceing is that the Omen is rated to run memory at 2400 speed and the system is failing to do so even with appropriate memory. 

Specs as listed by HP (https://support.hp.com/za-en/document/c05534728): 

• Dual channel (2 DIMMs per channel) memory architecture
  • Four DDR4 UDIMM (288-pin) sockets
  • Supports PC4-19200 (DRR4-2400)
  • Supports 4 GB and 8 GB DDR4 UDIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems

Both ram types I tested do support 2400 speed. The tool that does allow tuning is the Omen Command Center but for unknown reason I cannot change Memory timing, as the button does not exist where it should be (according to documentation)

If system is said to work with DDR4-2400 memory I expect this happen if memory is rated as DDR4-2400 and not downgrade to 2133 speeds.

It could of course be that HP has something similar to XMP and is only available from HP in order to support memory sales through their own chanels with a mark-up. But that would be evil conspiracy theory.

Regards

Louis

HP Recommended

@LouisQ, I have had 5 Omen laptops and desktops.  All of them came with HP Omen Command Center installed.  None of them has ever had an option to tweak the memory; only the processor.  In fact, until my most recent Omen with an i7-8700K installed, the OCC didn't even have the OC'ing for the processor.  If you want to tweak the memory, you can try Intel's Xtreme Tuning Utility.  I used it to OC my i7-8700K to 5.0 GHz.

As for the memory not running at 2400.  There is a possibility that the memory is not compatible with the slots.  I suggest that you contact the manufacturer's Tech Support to see what they have to say.  HP doesn't normally test the exotic gaming memory to assure that it is compatible.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

@old_geekster regarging memory OC in OMEN command center please have a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcxXXq3OGf0. At about the 2:12 mark. I do understand that this is not neccessarily available for all OMEN 880 models, mine obviously not being part but the functionality is availble.

The good thing is that you pointer to Intel XTU did the trick. Memory is working as expected now. I am still disapointed that it seems to me as if HP making it a bit more comlicated to run memory at system supported speed. I did test a set of G.skill DDR4 that is also rated at 2400 and system decided to only clock in at 2133.

Overall system is nice with room for improvement. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.