Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
MainGear Omen X
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey Guys,

This is my first post.  We recently purchased a MainGear Omen X and just received it today.  I'm trying to run the Omen Control but it won't run because "SynCom.DLL" is missing.  The guys at MainGear said it should be preinstalled but it's not anywhere in the list of programs.

I've installed both Omen Control and the System Event Utility but it still won't load.  I'm not sure which of the System Event Utility applications will fix it anyways.

I know the Omen Control is already a buggy program but none of the avenues that I've tried have worked.  I tried one post about rebooting and deleting the temp files and reinstalling but that didn't fix it.  I am running Windows 10 Professional on a 7700k with dual 1080ti's.

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give me.

T.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Actually I went to HP's website an input the Serial Number of the machine.  I then navigated to the updated Omen Control drivers and that fixed the problem.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Where did you get the source files from? HP Support web site? Or HP Recovery?

HP Recommended

Actually I went to HP's website an input the Serial Number of the machine.  I then navigated to the updated Omen Control drivers and that fixed the problem.

HP Recommended

There you go - self-solving problem!

Just remember that you can always re-install factory-supplied software & drivers using HP Recovery Manager.

HP Recommended

How To Fix SynCOM.dll Errors

Caution: We do not recommend downloading SynCOM.dll from "DLL download" sites. These sites distribute DLL files that are unapproved by the official SynCOM.dll file developer, and can often be bundled with virus-infected or other malicious files. If you require a copy of SynCOM.dll, it is recommended that you obtain it directly from Nvidia Corporation.

Below is a list of troubleshooting steps to resolve your SynCOM.dll problems. These troubleshooting steps get progressively more difficult and time consuming, so we strongly recommend attempting them in ascending order to avoid unnecessary time and effort.

Please Note: Click the [  ] image to expand the troubleshooting instructions for each step below. You can also click the [  ] image to hide the instructions as you proceed through each step.

Step 1: Manually Register SynCOM.dll Using Microsoft Register Server

When you install software that uses the SynCOM.dll dependency, the software should automatically register the file for you. In some cases your DLL file may not register properly, and as a result, will provide a "SynCOM.dll not registered" error. Fortunately, you can use a built-in utility called "Microsoft Register Server" (regsvr32.exe) to re-register your SynCOM.dll file.

How to re-register SynCOM.dll from an elevated command prompt (Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10😞

1.     Click the Start button.

2.     Type "command" in the search box... DO NOT hit ENTER yet!

3.     While holding CTRL-Shift on your keyboard, hit ENTER.

4.     You will be prompted with a permission dialog box.

5.     Click Yes.

6.     Type the following command: regsvr32 /u SynCOM.dll.

7.     Hit ENTER. This will UN-REGISTER your file.

8.     Type the following command: regsvr32 /i SynCOM.dll.

9.     Hit ENTER. This will RE-REGISTER your file.

10.  Close the command prompt window.

11.  Re-start the program associated with SynCOM.dll error.

Step 2: Repair Invalid SynCOM.dll Registry Entries

Sometimes SynCOM.dll and other DLL system errors can be related to problems in the Windows registry. Several programs can share the same SynCOM.dll file, but when these programs are uninstalled or changed, sometimes "orphaned" (invalid) DLL registry entries are left behind.

Basically, what this means is that while the actual file path may have changed, its incorrect former location is still recorded in the Windows registry. When Windows tries looking up these incorrect file references (file locations on your PC), SynCOM.dll errors can occur. In addition, malware infection may have corrupted the registry entries associated with COM SDK. Thus, these invalid DLL registry entries need to be repaired to fix the root of the problem.

Manually editing the Windows registry to remove invalid SynCOM.dll keys is not recommended unless you are PC service professional. Incorrectly editing your registry can stop your PC from functioning and create irreversible damage to your operating system. In fact, one misplaced comma can prevent your PC from booting entirely!

Because of this risk, we highly recommend using a trusted registry cleaner such as WinThruster  (Developed by Microsoft Gold Certified Partner) to scan and repair any SynCOM.dll-related registry problems. Using a registry cleaner automates the process of finding invalid registry entries, missing file references (like the one causing your SynCOM.dll error), and broken links within the registry. A backup is automatically created before each scan, with the ability to undo any changes in a single click, protecting you against the possibility of PC damage.

Caution: Unless you an advanced PC user, we DO NOT recommend editing the Windows registry manually. Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall Windows. We do not guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To manually repair your Windows registry, first you need to create a backup by exporting a portion of the registry related to SynCOM.dll (eg. COM SDK):

5.     Click Yes.

6.     A black box will open with a blinking cursor.

7.     Type "regedit" and hit ENTER.

8.     In the Registry Editor, select the SynCOM.dll-related key (eg. COM SDK) you want to back up.

9.     From the File menu, choose Export.

10.  In the Save In list, select the folder where you want to save the COM SDK backup key.

11.  In the File Name box, type a name for your backup file, such as "COM SDK Backup".

12.  In the Export Range box, be sure that "Selected branch" is selected.

13.  Click Save.

14.  The file is then saved with a .reg file extension.

15.  You now have a backup of your SynCOM.dll-related registry entry.

The next steps in manually editing your registry will not be discussed in this article due to the high risk of damaging your system. If you would like to learn more about manual registry editing, please see the links below.

Step 3: Remove or Restore SynCOM.dll from the Windows Recycle Bin

This may seem like an obvious or ridiculous step, but it is very possible that your SynCOM.dll might have been accidentally deleted. Therefore, it is worth checking your Recycle Bin to see if it's there.

1.     Simply double-click the Recycle Bin icon.

2.     In the upper right-hand corner, search for SynCOM.dll.

3.     If SynCOM.dll file appears in the search results, select it, and move it to the following directory:

a.     Windows 95/98/Me = C:\Windows\System32\

b.     Windows NT/2000 = C:\Windows\System32\

c.     Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10 = C:\Windows\System32\

d.     64-bit Windows = C:\Windows\System32\

4.     After moving your SynCOM.dll file, restart your computer.

Step 4: Conduct a Full Malware Scan of Your PC

There is a chance that your SynCOM.dll error could be related to a malware infection on your PC. These malicious intruders can damage, corrupt, or even delete DLL-related files. Furthermore, there's a possibility that the SynCOM.dll error you are experiencing is related to a component of the malicious program itself.

Step 5: Update Your PC Device Drivers

SynCOM.dll errors can be related to corrupt or outdated device drivers. Drivers can work one day, and suddenly stop working the next day, for a variety of reasons. The good news is that you can often update the device driver to fix the DLL problem.

Finding the exact driver for your SynCOM.dll-related hardware device can be extremely difficult, even directly on the Nvidia Corporation or related manufacturer's website. Even if you are experienced at finding, downloading, and manually updating drivers, the process can still be very time consuming and extremely irritating. Installing the wrong driver, or simply an incompatible version of the right driver, can make your problems even worse.

Because of the time and complexity involved in updating drivers.DriverDoc updates all of your PC device drivers, not just those associated with your DLL error. DriverDoc's proprietary One-Click Update™ technology not only ensures that you have correct driver versions for your hardware, but it also creates a backup of your current drivers before making any changes. Maintaining a driver backup provides you with the security of knowing that you can rollback any driver to a previous version if necessary. With updated device drivers, you can finally unlock new hardware features and improve the speed and performance of your PC.

Step 6: Utilize Windows System Restore to "Undo" Recent System Changes

Windows System Restore allows you to "go back in time" with your PC to help fix your SynCOM.dll problems. System Restore can return your PC's system files and programs back to a time when everything was working fine. This can potentially help you avoid hours of troubleshooting headaches associated with DLL errors.

Please Note: Using System Restore will not affect your documents, pictures, or other data.

To use System Restore (Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10):

2.     In the search box, type "System Restore" and hit ENTER.

3.     In the results, click System Restore.

4.     Enter any administrator passwords (if prompted).

5.     Follow the steps in the Wizard to choose a restore point.

6.     Restore your computer.

Step 7: Uninstall and Reinstall the COM SDK Program Associated with SynCOM.dll

If your SynCOM.dll error is related to a specific program, reinstalling COM SDK-related software could be the answer.

Instructions for Windows 7 and Windows Vista:

1.     Open Programs and Features by clicking the Start button.

2.     Click Control Panel on the right side menu.

3.     Click Programs.

4.     Click Programs and Features.

5.     Locate SynCOM.dll-associated program (eg. COM SDK) under the Name column.

6.     Click on the COM SDK-associated entry.

7.     Click the Uninstall button on the top menu ribbon.

8.     Follow the on-screen directions to complete the uninstallation of your SynCOM.dll-associated program.

Instructions for Windows XP:

1.     Open Programs and Features by clicking the Start button.

2.     Click Control Panel.

3.     Click Add or Remove Programs.

4.     Locate SynCOM.dll-associated program (eg. COM SDK) under the list of Currently Installed Programs.

5.     Click on the COM SDK-associated entry.

6.     Click the Remove button on the right side.

7.     Follow the on-screen directions to complete the uninstallation of your SynCOM.dll-associated program.

Instructions for Windows 8:

1.     Hover the cursor in the bottom left of the screen to produce the Start Menu image.

2.     Right-Click to bring up the Start Context Menu.

3.     Click Programs and Features.

4.     Locate SynCOM.dll-associated program (eg. COM SDK) under the Name column.

5.     Click on the COM SDK-associated entry.

6.     Click the Uninstall/Change on the top menu ribbon.

7.     Follow the on-screen directions to complete the uninstallation of your SynCOM.dll-associated program.

After you have successfully uninstalled your SynCOM.dll-associated program (eg. COM SDK), reinstall the program according to the Nvidia Corporation instructions.

Tip: If you are positive that your DLL error is related to a specific Nvidia Corporation program, uninstalling and reinstalling your SynCOM.dll-related program will likely be the solution to your problem.

Step 8: Run Windows System File Checker ("sfc /scannow")

System File Checker is a vital tool included with Windows. It allows you to scan for file corruption and restore Windows system files such as SynCOM.dll. If System File Checker finds a problem with SynCOM.dll or other critical system file, it will attempt to replace the problematic files from DLL Cache (%WinDir%\System32\Dllcache\). If the SynCOM.dll file is not in the DLL Cache, or the DLL Cache is corrupted, you will be prompted to insert the Windows installation disc to recover the original files.

To run System File Checker (Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10😞

5.     Click Yes.

6.     A black box will open with a blinking cursor.

7.     Type "sfc /scannow" and hit ENTER.

8.     System File Checker will begin scanning for SynCOM.dll and other system file problems (be patient - the system scan may take a while).

9.     Follow the on-screen commands.

Step 9: Install All Available Windows Updates

Microsoft is constantly updating and improving Windows system files that could be associated with SynCOM.dll. Sometimes resolving your DLL problems may be as simple as updating Windows with the latest Service Pack or other patch that Microsoft releases on an ongoing basis.

To check for Windows Updates (Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10):

2.     Type "update" into the search box and hit ENTER.

3.     The Windows Update dialog box will appear.

4.     If updates are available, click the Install Updates button.

Step 10: Perform a Clean Installation of Windows

Caution: We must emphasize that reinstalling Windows will be a very time-consuming and advanced task to resolve SynCOM.dll problems. To avoid data loss, you must be sure that you have backed-up all of your important documents, pictures, software installers, and other personal data before beginning the process.

HP Recommended

Thanks Premium001..  I found the driver from an HP domain so I don't think I got a malicious file..  At least I hope I didn't - but if I did it's not really my fault since it was an HP direct site.  

I haven't had any issues with the Omen Control since I installed it though.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.