Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Obelisk 875
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello folks,

Brand new Omen computer here. I returned my first one because the GPU overheated and corrupted windows (couldn't even reinstall it). I went back to the store and exchanged for the one I'm using now. It is also overheating, and stopped playing games before it also crashed. I quit when the GPU hit 87 degrees C. Just in case, the specs are intel core i9-9900k, Geforce RTX 2080 Ti, and 16gb RAM.BIOS is up to date, GPU driver is up to date, and windows itself is up to date.

Is this a common issue with these? Cause if so I'll be returning this one too, but for my money back this time.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @dirigibles 

Ive been reading of others having issues with the 2080 and 2080ti and high temps and not just HP PCs but with custom builds. They have a propensity to run hot, it would seem.

All I could suggest is to maybe try MSI Afterburner and set a temp limit or underclock the GPU to an acceptable level.

Otherwise, all I can do is offer you to speak to HP Support for warranty service.

HP Recommended

Well, from what I can tell it's due to the stock parts and case not being effective. The 2080s probably do run hot, but most setups have a decent cooling system. This case the airflow seems pretty bad, and no way I'm going to reduce the GPU's effectiveness by underclocking it. This machine is over 2 grand, and that just doesn't seem like a reasonable solution.

HP Recommended

Well I cant do anything else for ya. If you want to talk with support, tell me and Ill put in a request.

HP Recommended

just got mine 1/15/2020 and msi after burner worked for cooling the gpu better just by setting up a 45 degree fanspeed curve.

the water cooled cpu runs 45c to 50c at idle, I suspect the air flow is not setup right.

the top fan seems to be drawing in air instead of exhausting it.

I've read about some modding a fan in the bottom to draw in more cool air also.

right now the gpu is 34c idle and the cpu is 45c-50c idle itshould be at least as cool as the gpu at idle.

HP Recommended

after running the system for over 24 hours the water cooling is running cooler 54c while gaming and the gpu rtx 2080 super is staying below 70c during 96% load.

i think a fan added top the bottom of the case will help the gpu run cooler, i'll try that next.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.