Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Desktop PC - 880-029

Hi all!

Would love love help. Planning on buying an nvme card for my Omen with Tampa Motherboard.

Will it render one or two of the PCIE or SATA lanes unusable? Or does it have its own dedicated lane?

If it does use a lane, which lane does it use?

Thank you so so much!

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi

Maybe a forum member with first hand experience can assist.

I can't answer your question because HP does not provide this information. You have a "Z" series MB. Z MBs provide more PCIe lanes. I have seen MBs where using an M.2 drive connected to the CPU reduces the graphics card slot from X16 to x8.

No way to know what happens until you try it given the lack of detailed information.

I can tell you a M.2 NVME PCIe drive at Gen 3x4 will work in the M.2 socket. Higher Gen drives will work but will run at Gen 3 speeds.

I can guess the only Key M socket 3 on the Tampa runs off the CPU. You may lose other SATA or PCIe connectivity if this device runs from PCH.

HP Recommended

hi

I'm not sure I understand everything you're saying, but
I have a Tampa motherboard
with an m2 SSD
256 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
a graphics card in the pci 16 x slot
my model has an "external" compartment for hdd, so one occupied, plus ssd and internal HDD, everything works!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi @Prométhée 

Thanks for the info. I have never worked with the Tampa MB.

Just trying to point out potential pitfalls found on some MBs or OEM MB configurations.

MB manufacturers can modify design specifications as they please.

HP Recommended

clarification
here it seems to be the series
OMEN by HP 880-000
https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-880-000-desktop-pc-series/15776604/product-info

mine is 100 series with tampa 2 motherboard

but few differences

I mentioned the hdd in the external compartment, very practical, this may not be the case on this model
But that doesn't change anything else

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-880-000-desktop-pc-series/15776604/product-info

motherboard specifications, Tampa

motherboard specifications, Tampa2

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-880-000-desktop-pc-series/15776604/manuals

manual not available here
but quite close (except compartment certainly therefore!)

Upgrading & Servicing Guide

Hard Drive/Solid-State Drive Replacement Instructions

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-880-100-desktop-pc-series/18695893/model/20062326/ma...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSH-f3hwvio

Unless there is an error, the model mentioned already has an m2 ssd?

OMEN by HP 880-029 Desktop PC Product Specifications

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi @Prométhée 

I am looking at the Tampa2 specs Here.

Expansion Slots show two PCIe x16 slots only running at x8. This sounds like each x16 slot is pinned out to only provide eight lanes.

Maybe it's a typo or run GPU-Z to check this.

HP Recommended

yes already seen this, but nothing to do with the ssd m2 with or without it is already the case, check indeed.
I figured it was probably because this motherboard has two graphics card slots..
But it seems to me that I had already seen this with motherboards, with only one slot
the why, you should ask hp

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Hi

It demonstrates you're not getting x16 on an x16 slot. MB manufacturers modify specs.

The 7700 CPU provides 16 PCIe lanes for graphics or other PCIe devices. The Z270 chipset provides up to 24 PCIe lanes from the PCH.

The Tampa MB has the same chipset and two slot x8 PCIe configuration. The M.2 slot is probably using the CPU PCIe lanes for data. This would either disable the second x8 slot or reduce it to x4. One or two SATA ports may be disabled when the M.2 socket runs from the PCH.

HP Recommended

yes, i read that
but that does not change the problem here, namely the addition, or replacement of the SSD m2
already would have to know more, since as mentioned, the computer indicated would already have an m2 disk, so replacing it would not change anything more

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Hi

Some gamers might get upset when realizing they are getting x8 with an x16 graphics card. 

This PCIe graphics card config might have been okay using SLI or AMD Crossfire.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.