Level 1
3 1 0 2
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Omen X CPU Temperature Issues

Omen X 900-085na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have recently encountered a problem with my somewhat new PC (I've had it for 4 months).

So, I have been using my PC regularly with no issues whatsoever, but I booted up a few days ago, and immediately, the CPU fan, turned on at maximum power, for about 5 minutes, before slowing down to lower rate. As a result, I checked the temperatures of the CPU and GPU, to which the GPU was at a normal 30 C, but my CPU was fluctuating between 50  C and 75 C (whilst idle). 

I have restarted my computer many a time, and left it to cool down, but nothing is resolving this. However, it seems completely silly that this occured overnight, and will not fix itself.

In addition, whenever I open a program or game, the temperature shoots up to 100 C and remains there, until the program is closed.

Does anyone have advice on what I can do, as the HP online chat is closed for the weekend, and I would rather sort this issue out sooner.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
18,026 17,934 1,027 1,136
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ArunJulleeks

Good Day. A warm welcome to the HP community. I reviewed the case relating to CPU heating issue and  I will be delighted to assist you here.

Superb description, brilliant troubleshooting and terrific observations made before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

To assist you with accurate information I would require more information regarding this.

• Did you do any changes to the computer?

Meanwhile

Follow the below steps to fix the heating issue:

Test the computer with the cover removed

1. Turn off the computer and unplug the power cable.
  2. Remove the side panel screws.
  3. Figure : Examples of panel screws
  4. Examples of panel screws
  5. Remove the case panels or cover to expose the inside of the computer.
  6. Plug in the power cable and turn on the computer.
  7. With the case cover removed, use a software program that is known to frequently stop responding to see if the issue occurs again.

Verify that computer fans are operational

• With the power on, look inside the computer and find the cooling fans. Look for the fans near vents, around the processor, and around the video card. You can use a flashlight to help find the fans, but do not put anything inside the computer.
  • Figure : Fan locations
  • Fan locations
  • If a fan is not moving or is making a loud growling noise, turn off the computer and replace the fan. Do not use the computer when a fan is not working correctly because the high heat can damage other important components.

Cleane the computer

• Turn off the computer and disconnect the power cord.
  • Clean any exterior vents, especially around the power supply.
  • Figure : Power supply vent
  • Power supply vent
  • Use canned air to blow the dust off the internal parts of the power supply.
  • If a small vacuum cleaner is available, use the suction end to remove dust from the exterior vent holes.
  • Figure : Remove dust from the vent holes on the exterior
  • Remove dust from the vent holes
  • Remove dust from inside the computer. Use the canned air to clean off any dusty parts inside the computer.
  • After the cleaning is complete, replace the case cover.

Update the BIOS

• After releasing a computer, HP regularly provides updates for BIOS and other components. Updating the BIOS can help resolve issues with heat in your PC. See HP Desktop PCs - Updating the BIOS for instructions.

Click here and refer the HP Document for more assistance.

You can refer this Article also to fix latency issues.

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
11,083 10,894 1,122 3,234
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @ArunJulleeks

I will add... 

I've seen a few complaints similar to this in the laptop section also.

Did this possibly happen after a recent Windows 10 update? Seems to be the other complaints are all related to this.

Before you contact Support...

You can go through the usual troubleshooting tips like you would find here for example... Link  which might help.

It explains looking through the Task Manager to see what is running while your program is open, to see what might be taking up resources.

If none of that works, I would roll back the system prior to the time  the problem started via a Restore Point.

How to use System Restore Points (Windows 10, 😎

I recommend disconnecting your internet first, then roll back to a restore point.

Test the system without any internet on so it doesnt update. See if its running as it should.

Let us know what you find.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation