blehh
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Omen cube overheating

Omen X 900-010
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

3 days ago my Omen desktop has begun reaching really high temperatures doing things that were no issue before. I used to play a lot of games, but now even watching a video has the fans running at maximum. According to the omen control application, on average it's around 75-85 degrees(not sure if F or C), and doing almost anything sends it up to 100  immediately.

I cleaned all the dust from the vents, and inside the machine is pristine, but nothing changed. The HP support assistant says my pc doesn't need any updates, my antivirus says everything is clean, and I haven't changed the software or hardware at all. I'm at a loss. Does anyone have an idea of how to fix this?

5 REPLIES 5
Level 12
Level 12
5,761 5,749 544 1,203
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Omen cube overheating

Hi

The temps are usually shown in Celsius. 65 to 75 degrees F would be fantastic temperatures.

What component is hitting 100 C?

100 C on either the CPU or graphics card is not good.

Download and run the following stress test software:

1. GPU- Furmark. Run the graphics card and CPU stress tests.

2. CPU- Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. Run the CPU stress test for about 20 minutes.

You have a chassis airflow problem or a component problem.

Usually inadequate thermal paste applied to either device. High CPU or GPU core temps mean the attached cooling systems (thermal paste, heatsink, and fans) are not efficiently transferring heat from the device to outside the chassis.

Tom

blehh
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Omen cube overheating

It was the CPU, sorry I didn't mention that.

I ran the intel stress test, and it passed without problem, even if it did sound like it was going to take flight.

I guess I'll just triple check the ventilation and try moving it, and if that doesn't work I'll bring it in to a computer shop.

0 Kudos
Level 12
Level 12
5,761 5,749 544 1,203
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Omen cube overheating

Hi

Your system passed the Intel CPU stress test with no thermal throttling.

This is good. What did the package temp hit during the test?

Are you doing any CPU overclocking using the Omen Command Center?

This will raise CPU core temps.

The product specs for your system show you are running an i7-6700k on a Z170 MB. The area where the CPU, graphics card, and Voltage Regulator Modules are located gets really hot. All this stuff is located in one compartment. Do you have any options to add fans or install larger fans in this compartment?

Do you have a heatsink/fan or a closed loop liquid cooling system attached to the CPU?

Swapping in a liquid cooling system will give you better CPU thermals. I am using a Kraken x52 (240 mm radiator with two 120 mm fans in a push configuration) to cool a Z170/i7-6700k system. Plus a back 120 mm fan to exhaust hot air from the chassis.

I would think you need better heat transfer from the CPU heat spreader to the heatsink or coolant, or better air movement in this chassis compartment.

Tom

blehh
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Omen cube overheating

Ah, sorry for being unclear, I just meant it passed the stress test. It was at 100 degrees and had thermal throttling almost the whole time.

I have done no overclocking at all. The only changes I've made to the hardware was adding another stick of ram.

At the moment I cannot add any new cooling features, but I will keep that in mind for the future.

My main worry isn't that the overheating is happening, it's that it happened suddenly, with no warning. A week ago I could run games with the fans running pretty quiet, but now loading an image heavy web page sends it into overdrive. I'm more concerned that some part has suddenly failed than I am about more long term issues.

0 Kudos
Level 12
Level 12
5,761 5,749 544 1,203
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Omen cube overheating

Hi

No problem.

Throttling and 100 degree temps on the CPU will shorten the life of your processor.

This should be looked at soon.

It sounds like the thermal paste on the processor heat spreader is not doing it's job. 

Or the pump (if you have a liquid cooled system) is not working correctly.

Contact HP if in warranty or have a local PC tech take a look.

Try running the system without the new RAM to eliminate this as a possible cause.

Tom

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation