ObiWanKanoli
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Overclocking concern

Omen 880-160se
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I have purchased this with an I7-8700k with a GeForce GTX 1080 with the intent of overclocking in the future, obvious I will need to add another case fan or 2 as well as a larger power supply but aside from hardware restrictions has anyone tried to overclock this system? I am concerned how the mobo will react to the overclocking. Also did you have to change out the cpu cooler that up provides or was it adaquet?
9 REPLIES 9
Level 15
Level 15
21,823 21,449 2,472 8,226
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Overclocking concern

@ObiWanKanoli, welcome to the forum.

When you overclock any CPU and GPU it is best to go slowly.  This will assure that you don't have unnecessary problems.  If you chose the air cooling option, instead of the liquid cooling option, you will have to be more cautious.  The Z370 chipset will overclock nicely.

I use Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility to overclock my i7-6700K with liquid cooling.  I have been able to OC it from 4.0 to 4.6 without any change to the voltage.  This reduces the heat. You can use CPU-Z, GPU-Z and HWMonitor to monitor the temps.  Also, there are apps that you can use to stress test each change that you make to assure that it is stable.

The 500W PSU should be plenty for OC'ing.  Adding case fans will definitely help with cooling, but liquid cooling is a better option.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

-----------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

Custom build: Corsair 750D Airflow (Full Tower); MSI MEG z390 ACE; i9-9900K processor (OC'd 5.025); Corsair H150i cooler; 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 memory; MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio video card; Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Level 7
728 620 20 111
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Overclocking concern

@ObiWanKanoliwrote:
I have purchased this with an I7-8700k with a GeForce GTX 1080 with the intent of overclocking in the future, obvious I will need to add another case fan or 2 as well as a larger power supply but aside from hardware restrictions has anyone tried to overclock this system? I am concerned how the mobo will react to the overclocking. Also did you have to change out the cpu cooler that up provides or was it adaquet?

You are only going to hit 4.6 GHz overclocking. I made a video of it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnQ4garCyvw

Hey guys I finally made another follow up video on the issue at hand. Sorry for the delay. FULL DISCLOSURE I am not responsible for any system problems or ruining it from overclocking. That is at your own FULL DISCRETION to do so if you go forward with it. HP Omen has put in system protections to
0 Kudos
ObiWanKanoli
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Overclocking concern

Thanks guys, useful information. I watched your video fatty and it had me brainstorming. Bear in mind I am still very much a novice at overclocking as I am upgrading from a 10 year old system (enough said), however I have done extensive research and just looking at the program you were accessing it was an omen specific program that obviously had a lot of restrictions on it. Both of you mentioned getting to 4.6 ghz with no additional load to power input. With the 8700 being 4.3 ghz base I have to imagine you can get more out of it than 4.6 ghz (this is a marginal increase), and I would be willing to say it has to do will omen restricting it so you can't pull any more voltage into the chip/chipset, that way their warranty can be kept intact. Fatty have you tried accessing the motherboards bios instead of using the build in hp program? If you can manually adjust through the bios it might allow you to adjust the voltage coming in which I would think would give a boost in ghz (only makes sense), also if you have access to turn on xmp you should get a boost from the memory as well which would also in turn boost the cpu. Just thoughts, until I receive my rig I won't be able to test these out myself. It could very well be hp's mobo that is restricting it and there might be no way around it but regardless 4.6 ghz is plenty of power to run anything I would need. More of my curious nature wanting to know how far it can be pushed. Thanks for the responses guys.
0 Kudos
FattysGoneWild
Level 7
728 620 20 111
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Overclocking concern

This PC has no options in the bios for overclocking what so ever. The bios look like they are from the 80's still HP has never updated the gui. It also does not support XMP profiles so if you are expecting that and its a big deal for you. I would cancel the order. Finally voltage is locked to what HP has allowed. Hence the power restrictions and for warranty purposes as you said. That voltage slider does absolutely nothing.

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Overclocking concern

Thank you for the additional information, @ObiWanKanoli.

The Core Clock in the 17-8700K is 3.7 with a Turbo Boost of 4.3.  You will be overclocking the Core Clock.  As I said in my original post, I use Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility to OC my processor.  It will give you some flexibility, but it will give you all of the warnings about possible damage that you can cause.  Here is a guide to help you understand XTU, as it is called.  The guide is a bit different than the verion of XTU in the link that I provided, but it has most of the same information.  Also, you should take a look at the other apps that I mentioned.  They will give you all the information that you could want on your computer.

Enjoy!!

Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

Custom build: Corsair 750D Airflow (Full Tower); MSI MEG z390 ACE; i9-9900K processor (OC'd 5.025); Corsair H150i cooler; 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 memory; MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio video card; Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Level 7
728 620 20 111
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Overclocking concern

HP Command Center is a modified version of Intel XTU btw.

Level 15
Level 15
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Overclocking concern

@FattysGoneWild,

I have had 4 Omen laptops and desktops.  The desktops came with Intel "K" processor installed.  If fact, I have the Omen X with an 17-6700K.  I have never had a version of the Omen Command Center that has the Overclocking option.  The problem is, I can't find one with it to install on my Omen X.  If you could send me a link to the one that came with your computer maybe it would work with mine.

Signature:

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++

Level 7
728 620 20 111
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Overclocking concern

@old_geeksterwrote:

@FattysGoneWild,

I have had 4 Omen laptops and desktops.  The desktops came with Intel "K" processor installed.  If fact, I have the Omen X with an 17-6700K.  I have never had a version of the Omen Command Center that has the Overclocking option.  The problem is, I can't find one with it to install on my Omen X.  If you could send me a link to the one that came with your computer maybe it would work with mine.

Here ya go a link to my PC https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/omen-by-hp-880-100-desktop-pc-series/18695893/model... click under software solutions and you will see the Omen command center software. I might be wrong on so please don't quote me on this. I don't think HP started adding overclocking in the command center until the 7700k and now 8700k. Which is why you are not seeing it with that 6700k.

Make sure to uninstall Intel XTU first before trying to install that software or they will be fighting with each other.

Level 15
Level 15
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Overclocking concern

@FattysGoneWild, thanks for the link.  I believe that you are correct about the i7-6700K.  I installed the version of OCC that you provided and it still doesn't have the OC'ing option.  I guess I will have to wait until I get a better processor.

Signature:

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++