TwoXMike
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Overheating? Fan blowing rapidly for no reason

OMEN X
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This issue has just cropped up today. While I was watching YouTube (nothing else running) the fan above the CPU just took off, sounded like a mini jet starting up.

Now I am pretty sure that the CPU heatsink is the cause of this but I don't understand why it would be. I got this computer less than a year ago. Another curious thing is that there are 2 fabric cables going from the Omen heatsink to the fan that is doing over time. 1 of those cables is significantly hotter than the other.

I also installed CPUID and when I start to watch YouTube the temps go from 65 - 70 to 95 - 100.

Not sure what's going on but I can barely watch YouTube atm without it going into over drive, any help is greatly appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
Level 12
Level 12
5,761 5,749 544 1,203
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Overheating? Fan blowing rapidly for no reason

Hi

CPU temps of 95 degrees C to 100 degrees C are the cause. Intel CPU's throttle around 100 degrees C. AMD CPU's throttle at lower temps.

The first thing I would do would be to remove the heatsink/fan. Clean the existing thermal  paste on the CPU heat spreader and the heatsink.

Reapply thermal paste to the CPU heat spreader and then reattach the CPU heatsink to the MB.

Maybe even think about replacing the heatsink/fan with a new unit to be safe.

Tom

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation