The-Toad
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

PC parts

OMEN by HP Desktop PC 870-224
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So i recently bought this pc and have not had issues but one thing that was odd to me was after opening my pc i saw that my graphics card had no case on it which seems very unusual to me and raises the question if whether i would be able to upgrade my gpu later down the road and also i would like to know why the case around the gpu is removed.

2 REPLIES 2
Level 12
Level 12
5,770 5,758 544 1,203
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

PC parts

Hi

I don't work for HP. The following opinion is my own.

HP may have graphics cards built using custom specifications. HP may sometimes modify the TDP of the card or any other spec so the card works correctly with other HP factory installed components and the chassis. The design modifications may be made to ensure the card performs according to Nvidia's design specifications. Increased heat dissipation may be the reason for this.

The HP product specs for your PC show an Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB part. The GTX 1060 usually has (1) an enclosure. Some Nvidia cards have (2) a backplate. These two design options could increase internal graphics card temps when gaming or benchmarking.

You can upgrade the graphics card down the road provided the new card fits in the tower and the 500 watt included HP power supply has six pin and eight pin supplemental PCIe power connections.

Faster graphics cards, when stressed, will increase operating temps of the card and the PC's chassis.

Tom

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,746 12,733 829 1,461
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

PC parts

@The-Toad

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to assist.

Congratulations on your purchase of the new OMEN by HP Desktop PC - 870-224. I read that you would like to know if the graphics card can be upgraded in the future and also why the case around the GPU was removed. 

Definitely, you may upgrade the graphics card in the future. The motherboard has one PCI Express x16 (Gen 3.0) slot where the existing graphics card is installed. Secondly, to ensure there is sufficient space and ventilation around the graphics card and also to ensure that ports of the graphics card are visible from the PC, the casing might have been removed. 

The ports of the graphics card must be visible so as to connect the monitor. 

You may view the detailed PC specifications via this link.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to keep me posted for any further questions. Cheers! 🙂

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation