Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Phoenix 810-160
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Phoenix 810-160 restarts after about 5 minutes of initial startup.  It only happens for the first powerup of the day.  Heat levels all components are good.   Only began after WIN 10 upgrade. 

Also am unable to update BIOS.  It appears the bios update completes, but it does not update.

Summary

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-PHOENIX
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model 810-160
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU F3D90AA#ABA
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date AMI 80.21, 5/29/2014
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello All,

Grzwacz is probably right. Before you reinstall Windows though, I would try updating your UEFI Diagnostics first.

Then you can update the bios from in that Diagnostics Tool. It might solve the issue of it not updating.

I would do a hard reset, then install the file. Then open it and navigate to the Bios section and try updating the bios again.

sp87762.exe

Hard reset - unplug the power and hold the power button down for 20 seconds.

IF no joy, you can run the diagnostics to help determine if a hardware failure is occuring.

HP How to use Diagnostics

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings pred1128,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

There is a Windows 8.1 64 bit BIOS update for your PC. You can sometimes install a W8.x BIOS update when running W10.

The BIOS update is available at this link.  I don't think this BIOS update will fix your problem. Hey, it could fix the current system restart issue but the BIOS update was issued by HP in 2015. 

You stated the thermals are okay so this should not be the cause of the one time system restart. Additional data shows the system is stable after a second system reboot.

I think your problem is directly related to W10, version 1803.

So if you did not have this problem running  W10 1709 then the solution is hard to determine.

You can go back to the previous version of W10. You can try a clean install of W10, version 1803 with only the mouse, keyboard, and monitor connected to the PC.

There are other options. It gets really involved when trying to solve this problem. You could have coincidentally developed a hardware problem unrelated to updating to W10 1803.

This means you may have to install the factory image or go back to the previous version of W10 to see if this problem persists.

Now you have to back up data if you decide to go back to the factory image. You should be backing up data as a rule of thumb.

This is a very complex issue. Tough one to solve.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hello All,

Grzwacz is probably right. Before you reinstall Windows though, I would try updating your UEFI Diagnostics first.

Then you can update the bios from in that Diagnostics Tool. It might solve the issue of it not updating.

I would do a hard reset, then install the file. Then open it and navigate to the Bios section and try updating the bios again.

sp87762.exe

Hard reset - unplug the power and hold the power button down for 20 seconds.

IF no joy, you can run the diagnostics to help determine if a hardware failure is occuring.

HP How to use Diagnostics

HP Recommended

Thanks for the advice.  I installed the Diagnostics Tool and attempted to update BIOS, but after update it is still the original BIOS version.

UPDATE: After updating the UEFI Diagnostic tool and attempting to update the BIOS again it apears the problem has been resolved.  On day 2 and no automatic restarts.

Thanks again for the advice.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.