Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0083w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

(I dont know much about upgrading PCs - keep that in mind.) So i was wondering what i could do for a case upgrade so i could have more room for more upgrades (since the case is rather small) and what i could do for a motherboard upgrade as well as a new gpu.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@unpopularperson , welcome to the forum.

Upgrading your computer is difficult.  HP has their motherboards and other components made to their specifications.  The motherboard has a proprietary 4-pin power connector; instead of the standard 24-pin ATX power connector.  This means that you will have to upgrade the power supply unit (PSU) with one made by HP.

Here is a HP Knowledge Base article that will explain the things to consider when moving your motherboard to another case:  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Knowledge-Base/Moving-HP-Motherboard-to-a-new-gaming-case/ta-p/...

You can upgrade the processor to a Ryzen7-2700 without changing the PSU.  Also, upgrade the memory to 32 GB.  Here is the memory and SSD's that are recommended by Crucial Memory:  https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/pavilion-690-0083w

A SSD boot drive is the least expensive system performance boost that you can add.  It will improve boot times and all other functions tremendously.

Upgrading the video card will require a PSU upgrade, as well.  Here is a Power Supply Cross-Reference chart to help you with choosing a PSU:  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Knowledge-Base/Power-Supply-Cross-Reference-for-specific-model...

While your computer is not listed, it is in the 690 series.  You can use any of the PSU's listed in the chart.  I believe that you have a 180W or 310W PSU installed.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

@unpopularperson 

Here is that spreadsheet @old_geekster meant to link. Somehow he sent a different link.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thanks, @wb2001!!  The link didn't copy as planned.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

@old_geekster,

I will always have your "6".

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.