Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 870-244
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

What are my options if I would ever decide to upgrade the CPU? I have CPUID installed on my pc and it says I have a i7 7700 65w socket 1151 LGA. Would any cpu with the same socket and wattage work? I could have sworn reading something somewhere on here that you can only upgrade to a few other cpus. 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Just to clarify... there are two versions of your model. Which one do you have?

HP Omen 870-244  or HP Omen 870-244nd?

Its always best If you give us the full product number so we can look it up.

It can be found in the HP Support Assistant.

The HP Omen 870-244 with the Thimphu-K motherboard can use up to a 7700K 91w cpu.

The HP Omen 870-244nd with the Odense2-K motherboard can only use up to a 7700 65w cpu.

Personal opinion, I would not bother upgrading to the K version if I could, not worth the money. The 7700 locked cpu will turbo up to 4.2 anyways. The unlocked K version will still not be overclockable due to HP bios limitations, which would really be the only reason to have one.

HP Recommended

I dont think upgrade is a option but dont quote me. If your cpu could use a 7700k the gain isnt worth the cost you pay. I have the same chip and set up. Its just a real same intel has to make a new board every gen because a clear upgrade would be get a 300 board and then get a 8700/9700 or what ever. 

HP OMEN 7700 I7 1070 gtx
MSI GT73VRE TITAN
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.