Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP pavilion 690-0010
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good evening,i have the Gaming HP pavilion 690-0010 which has a 310w power supply and i am looking to upgrade it to something higher but i can not find any info on the size of the current one to know what size i i should get? Or maybe theres an HP made power supply with higher W upgrade? Please help out.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello @Alex10787

They were set up with a proprietary Small Form Factor PSU. HP did not intend for them to be upgraded.

The highest Ive see that PC series come out with was 400W for a few of the AMD systems.

L04618-800Power Supply - GNRC PSU 400W SFF Entl FR

I dont know of a third party source that would sell one of those upgraded to more output.

Sorry.

HP Recommended

Ohhhh ok,but this is mostly about size,am i able to just buy an atx size supply and leave it outside the case since it doesn't fit inside? 

HP Recommended

Not really practical but I suppose it might work. Why would you want to do that anyway?

Im guessing you want to swap out the video card?

HP Recommended
Yes i want to upgrade to a more powerful graphics card that requires a higher wattage,but i just realized that even if i accepted an external power supply as a thing,i can not connect it since hp uses a special p1 wire that isn't a standard motherboard power wire,and HP doesn't sell any upgrade power supplies,which means never in my entire life will i ever buy,or recommend to any family or friends an HP product ever again.
HP Recommended

If you want to upgrade a PC, you need to look at a custom build. The other major brands that sell "ready mades" are built to not be upgraded also. Thats why you paid such a low price on your machine. But good luck with that.

HP Recommended

Good evening, remember me? Well i have solved my power supply problem, so now I successfully upgraded my power supply on my HP,what I did was I first got a multimeter and measured all of the wires in the original HP small PSU and saw that it was 12 volts and I even measured the amps just so I have that data,so I got my old computers higher wattage power supply and I measured the voltage of each wire and separated every wire that had the same voltage as the HP PSU then we wired it into a 4-pin connector and connected it to my HP computer and it works like perfect so I have successfully upgraded my power supply. now keep in mind that even when the power supply of the HP is off it still supply supplies 12 volts to the components which is very weird but my old computer power supply does not provide any power when off you have to do the paperclip trick in order to power it on.so I'm just giving you that information so in the future know how to answer any similar thread if anyone else needs help.

HP Recommended

Usualy on the side of the PSU should be a lable with specification of what ever the PSU is capable of ,atleast so was on my omen X900 all Voltages and combined power in W also ther was a grade sticker ( silver) in my case . It was a 520W PSU with a warning writen "Should Not Exseecd 600W"  . Due to the nature of my upgrades and all peripherials attached that was way low so I upgraded mine to Coesair TX850M PSU ( 850W) . Didnt had any need to individaly masure output Voltage or combimed Wattage.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.