Level 1
6 5 0 1
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Power Throttling Omen Desktop 880-149

Omen 880-149
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So my graphics card AND my CPU are power throttling according to ETU and some other program I cannot find now and cannot remember the name. 

This is extremely silly,  There is no way to adjust the power options from the "Bios" if that's what you even call that barebones monstrosity.   I purchased a PC with a 1070 & I7-8700 to use those parts to their fullest.  

Yet here I am diagnosing issues for hours and hours.   Is there some way to aliveate this problem?

Undervolting the CPU does nothing I assume because this is Bios Locked.   Is my only option to seriously get a new mobo?

I've purchased a PC that HP still owns the better part of... 

For $2000 canadian dollars I'm not overly happy about this lack of options.  

I've even got a 750w psu from a previous PC hardly used and if I was to even put it in this I would still lack the option to 

do anything.   You can't even control the fans from the Bios.....What is this?!

9 REPLIES 9
Level 12
Level 12
5,722 5,710 542 1,197
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

You have diagnosed the problem; thermal throttling on the GPU and CPU. 

This problem is probably due to inadequate airflow inside the chassis and reduced CPU thermal transfer caused by the size of the: included fans and the AIO CPU liquid cooled radiator/pump system included in the build.

Can you add an additional chassis fan to improve airflow? Any reduction in temps when you run the system with the side panel off?

HP limits BIOS tweaking on systems. I don't believe it is a MB problem. A new MB is not going to improve airflow.

It is a chassis airflow problem. Intel 8700 processors run hot.  The 1070 can get hot when you are pushing the graphics card. The VRMs near the CPU socket get hot.You need more airflow in this area of the MB. 

Regards

0 Kudos
Turv3y
Level 1
6 5 0 1
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It's not thermal throttling. It is power limit throttling.
0 Kudos
Level 12
Level 12
5,722 5,710 542 1,197
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

What are the symptoms?

Low FPS in games? Other issues like poor CPU benchmarks?

Regards

0 Kudos
Turv3y
Level 1
6 5 0 1
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Stuttering when the machine is power throttled on some games, still getting a decent benchmark but you can see its affecting my score for sure.
0 Kudos
Level 12
Level 12
5,722 5,710 542 1,197
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

The cause can be tricky to isolate.

The cause could be the PSU or the MB.

Load BIOS defaults if you have made any changes in the BIOS.

I have heard HP sometimes uses modified discrete GPUs in some of their builds.

Have you checked any gaming forums for tips on how to troubleshoot this problem?

Regards

0 Kudos
Turv3y
Level 1
6 5 0 1
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I will try this now, not much information I can find anywhere especially with the extremely limited bios we have to work with. Not sure if there's some way to open up the bios to a real bios or what the heck.
0 Kudos
Level 12
Level 12
5,722 5,710 542 1,197
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

You can't unlock the HP factory BIOS.

One other thing, HP sometimes only provides x8 lanes on the x16 graphics card slot all of the time. I think the Tampa2 MB has this limitation.

You will not see a 50% reduction in PCIe throughput but running at x8 instead of x16 is going to throttle graphics card performance.

Regards

0 Kudos
Turv3y
Level 1
6 5 0 1
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yeah I think I'm just going to have to take this potato back to the store and say hell with it.

I've spent too much money to have to worry about these ridiculous limitations IMO.  

Can't change settings,  Can't do this,  Can't do that.,  Terrible really.

0 Kudos
bobhumplick
3 3 0 1
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the motherboard is supposed to be a z370 but as you say the bios is locked.  try downloading intel XTU.  z370 boards are supposed to support overclocking and power limit features in xtu.  if xtu is the program you are talking about and it didtn work im sorry.  but make sure you went to cpu tab and check for tubro power limit or short term power limit or maintained power limit or core current limit.  set them all as high as you can.  you wont be able to damage the cpu as long as you leave thermal throttling on.  it will throttle the cpu if it gets to hot from drawing too much power.  if you do happen to get it to work you will have to buy a better air cooler.  a 35 dollar hyper 612 (the 212 is alright but the 612 is what you need).

you are 100% correct.  this has nothing to do with thermal throttling.  at least not until you get the power limit out of the way.

if XTU doesn work im sorry.  they have decided to lock the cpu to the 65w power limit even though store bought boards ignore it.  thats why you never buy computers from big makers.  local builders who know what they are doing are your best bet.  not a friend but a real builder.  smaaller boutique builders usually use off the shelf parts and you probalbly wouldnt have this problem.  builders like i buy power or cyber but i cant gaurentte this will always be the case.  a local builder who knows what theya re doing and knows you know where they live and work is your best bet : )

im sorry.  i really am.  get a refund if you can.  if not then a real z370 motherboard for about 80 bucks will fix your problem

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation