Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Hp tg01-0010no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey, 

I was wondering can I switch other brand power supply on that thing and I have heard some bad things also about hp prebuilt computers motherboards. So if I wanted to switch graphic card would it work properly? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Jonez_147 , welcome back to the forum.

@Jonez_147 wrote:

Hey, 

I was wondering can I switch other brand power supply on that thing: No!  The motherboard is HP proprietary and you will have to replace it with a power supply unit (PSU) made by HP.  You can upgrade to a HP 500W PSU (L05757-800).  It has 1x6+2-pin PCIe power connector.  Here is a Power Supply Cross-Reference Chart to show you where I got the information on the PSU: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Knowledge-Base/Power-Supply-Cross-Reference-for-specific-model...

All of the TG01 series with Rother motherboards can use the same PSU's.

and I have heard some bad things also about hp prebuilt computers motherboards.  I don't know what you have heard, but HP's motherboards are very good.  They may be limited on the ability to upgrade them based on the model.  HP has their motherboards and other components made to their specifications.  This way they can use them in many different models.

So if I wanted to switch graphic card would it work properly?  Here is a HP Knowledge Base article that will tell you what to consider when upgrading the video card: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Knowledge-Base/Upgrade-Video-Card/ta-p/7481981

Your motherboard has UEFI.  So, this is not a problem.  You will have to make certain that the card will fit into the space provided with space for good airflow.  The high power new cards develop a lot of heat.  Also, it has to run properly with a maximum of 500W.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Jonez_147 , welcome back to the forum.

@Jonez_147 wrote:

Hey, 

I was wondering can I switch other brand power supply on that thing: No!  The motherboard is HP proprietary and you will have to replace it with a power supply unit (PSU) made by HP.  You can upgrade to a HP 500W PSU (L05757-800).  It has 1x6+2-pin PCIe power connector.  Here is a Power Supply Cross-Reference Chart to show you where I got the information on the PSU: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Knowledge-Base/Power-Supply-Cross-Reference-for-specific-model...

All of the TG01 series with Rother motherboards can use the same PSU's.

and I have heard some bad things also about hp prebuilt computers motherboards.  I don't know what you have heard, but HP's motherboards are very good.  They may be limited on the ability to upgrade them based on the model.  HP has their motherboards and other components made to their specifications.  This way they can use them in many different models.

So if I wanted to switch graphic card would it work properly?  Here is a HP Knowledge Base article that will tell you what to consider when upgrading the video card: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Knowledge-Base/Upgrade-Video-Card/ta-p/7481981

Your motherboard has UEFI.  So, this is not a problem.  You will have to make certain that the card will fit into the space provided with space for good airflow.  The high power new cards develop a lot of heat.  Also, it has to run properly with a maximum of 500W.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

@old_geekster

Hey thanks for your reply! So I could slap gtx 1660 or 1660 super in that thing with a 400 or 500 watt psu if I wanted to upgrade right? But can't run those cards with 310 watt psu which is in the computer already?

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Jonez_147!

You should make certain that you follow the instructions on measuring the space in the article that I provided to assure that the card will fit.  It wouldn't be good to buy the card and have it not fit.  Otherwise, I believe you should be fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.