Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen Obelisk
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just recently purchased a HP Omen Obelisk with a Ryzen 3700x (it looks like it is a B450 86D3 motherboard).  I wanted to add a fan to the top mounting bracket, to get extra air flow and cool it down a bit.  I figured if I am adding a fan, it would be cool to have some RGB (and I saw some interesting ones from Cooler Master and Corsair).  I was reading I would need an ARGB header on the motherboard.  The only thing I saw is an LC_Pump 4-pin connector at the top, that I'm assuming I can plug a regular fan into, but not sure where the RGB connectors would go in the desktop.  Can anyone give me an clarity on if this is even possible with the Omen Obelisk given it's motherboard set up?

Also, does anyone have a suggestion on whether the additional fan would benefit the case more as an intake or exhaust fan?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@KnocTurnal 

First, always post the full product number of your computer so we know what you have exactly.

You can find it in the HP Support assistant or press the Ctrl/Alt/S keys for an info menu.

HP systems use a proprietary RGB setup for those cases, thus the RGB control module located in the front bottom corner of the case. But I don't know if yours already has that since you didn't post the product number. There are a few that didn't come with it. Wouldn't matter anyways.

IF you have an unused 4 pin fan header, you would have to find an appropriate 3rd party controller add-on that would accept 12v 4pin or adapter if you want an ARGB (5v 3pin) fan installed.

4 pin = 12v.  3pin = 5v.

I do not make any recommendations for those controller adapters, you will have to do your homework and mess with it at your own risk. If you connect a wrong style setup to any ol header, you could fry your RGB controller.

Some have reported better temps with added fans, others have not.

Fan direction... typically you want the air to flow front to back and bottom to top.

Example image - credit goes to How to Geeks website.

xideal.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.