Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 30L Desktop GT13
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I heard about RAM issues, but this is a 10700'K' Intel Processor. I found a blog that said it was possible to change your RAM profile using Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility. 

So I purchased my new RAM, Corsair 3600 CAS 16, and it runs at 2133 mhz. Intel's XTU doesn't have a Memory option for my GT13-0255st. Furthermore there is 0 BIOS configuration for Memory. 

This is a custom-built Gaming PC, not a Pre-Built. I'm confused & dumbfounded how this hasn't caused massive calamity. How can you not swap RAM? Like at all? You have to use 1 or 2 sticks of 3200 provided by HP Store? 

---------------

So What RAM Can I buy to expand it? 

Please tell me the model number. Please provide a link to HP Store and Please, if possible provide a link to the RAM on any  external site with a RAM Stick that works. 

This is like a car dealership who decides to mod the engines to fail if not using BP gasoline! I can't imagine a potential customer issue ...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Check the second to last post on this thread - https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Desktops/Intel-R-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-not-showing-memory-sect...

there is the solution to get the memory section back on the XTU.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi,

You have to build a PC using retail components or buy a pre-built PC from an OEM which uses retail parts if you want to do various component upgrades.

Tier one PC builders (HP, Dell, Lenovo) modify components to their specifications. 

Certain component upgrades on tier one PCs can be frustrating or fruitless (space considerations or compatibility issues).

You have hit a roadblock imposed by the BIOS.

Regards

HP Recommended

I appreciate the response, but WHY?

What you wrote doesn't make sense. It's not a pre-built PC because they took time to build it after order... and it's RAM. RAM is built to specs. The components in a PC build are based on industry aligned specs or PC's would NOT be built, they'd be hand-crafted works of art pieced together from semi-conductor parts.

HP took something that worked, changed it so it didn't.. didn't tell the consumer.. and they seem completely confused how to explain it. I just talked to a fairly sound minded HP Rep after 30 min wait and he took his time, about 15 mins and came back with I could buy any matching ram.. sounds like no. 

HP Recommended

So What RAM Can I buy to expand it? 

Please tell me the model number. Please provide a link to HP Store and Please, if possible provide a link to RAM on any external site that works to spec on this machine.

I'm starting to disbelieve this is a RTX 3070 as well. Is it a 2080 Super that HP 'labeled' in house? I'm so confused  I can't discount it at this point. 

HP Recommended

So did they alter the Z490 board? Aren't these standardized to industry specs? I get BIOS, but if it's just BIOS wouldn't there be an easy bios update to fix this issue? 

HP Recommended

Check the second to last post on this thread - https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Desktops/Intel-R-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-not-showing-memory-sect...

there is the solution to get the memory section back on the XTU.

HP Recommended

This is not even close to a solution. This is a disclaimer notice sent by a proud member of a community. I can't believe it has 2 thumbs up.. except I know how communities prop up their own sense of entitlement. 

If you even included a link to the HP Store RAM that I have to use, that would be helpful. I have spent an hour searching the HP store and I can't find how to purchase the memory.  

You also didn't explain what the problem is from a technical sense.. . That sounds like an HP rep.. 'can't explain it or help you fix it.. but I can overexplain how it doesn't work! Hope you have a nice day!

HP Recommended

Thanks, don't know if it'll work yet, but it's an effort towards solution. I'll post a follow up.

HP Recommended

The issue is that essentially HP has micro codded the "approved" memory in the BIOS, so only memory purchased from their HP store will automatically go to 3200mhz without us having to look for software alternatives.

On a flip side, it is done via JEDEC profiles, which are a lot slower compared to what the memory is rated to, stock is running at CL22 where the memory is CL18 XMP. But thats what it is and we have to live with it, as HP are telling us.  

HP Recommended

Thanks. BTW, I was responding @Grzwacz 3 posts above

Initial testing shows only the 4th slot attempted to use the XMP profile when I altered it using the XMP setting..  using the older version of Intel XTU software. So it sorta tried to work. CPU-Z said the last stick was profiled correct, but I didn't validate, I figure it can't be correct since a board can't run sticks at different timings. 

I ended up trying a custom profile, but something very bad happened so I pulled the RAM and put back in the original and deleted the settings change. 

I don't understand why they can't offer us a  BIOS update.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.