Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
M01-F0016
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So with the M01-F0016 I purchased 2x8 Astra Gear 3200MHz sticks to go with it.
I replaced the 1x8GB SK Hynix 2666MHz stick with 2x8GB Astra Gear sticks.
Upon replacement with the Astras, CPU-Z shows that I now have 2x8 SK Hynix sticks @ 2666MHz!
The PC boots up, but games crash and lots of temporary freezes and the screen going blank momentarily.

The motherboard is the Erica2 and is capable of accepting up to 128GB of 3200MHz DDR4 memory. What am I missing here? 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Denny0432 

CPU-Z should tell you what is existing 8GB RAM. Why not buy SAME RAM. The specs says:

• Dual channel (1 DIMM per channel) memory architecture
  • Two DDR4 UDIMM (288-pin) sockets
  • Supports PC4-25600 (DDR4-3200)
  • Supports 8 GB and 16 GB DDR4 UDIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems
    note:
    32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.
  • Supports up to 32 GB (unbuffered) on 64-bit computers

You can install 3200MHz compatible RAM but system will run at 2666MHz.

>>>> The motherboard is the Erica2 and is capable of accepting up to 128GB of 3200MHz DDR4 memory

I can't see that from its specs which only says:

• Supports up to 32 GB (unbuffered) on 64-bit computers".

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hello thank you for the response.

To start, I bought the faster ram because it's faster.

On Erica2's description the Memory Upgrade Information specifically states it supports PC4-25600 (DDR4-3200) memory. So it seems I was mistaken with the 128gb and it only supports up to 32gb of RAM. However, because I am only trying to run 16gb of RAM anyway, this is irrelevant. My question is, why would HP say that the motherboard can support PC4-26500 (DDR4-3200) RAM if it will only run it at 2666MHz? Am I understanding you correctly? You are saying that this motherboard will only operate ram at 2666MHz?

And if that's the case, why is the 3200MHz ram causing freeze up, software crashes, and making the screen go blank for a few seconds before turning back on? It seems this motherboard cannot support this memory at all.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.