Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen Obelisk 875-0024
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all people, my name is Max.  I have a HP Omen Obelisk desktop computer (SKU 875-0024,) with a Geforce RTX 2080 installed. 

I started to experience crashes/full black screens after logging into Windows 10. After these initial crashes, upon resetting or hard resetting the computer, the computer would black screen before even booting to Windows. I followed troubleshooting steps from HP and Microsoft and performed the following list of actions.

1. I restored the BIOS to the previous version in case it was corrupted and reset the CMOS.
2. After restoring the BIOS without success, I configured a USB drive to install the latest BIOS version for this computer from HP's website.
3. After updating the BIOS without improvement, I tried to reset the computer entirely and re-install Windows 10. I still experienced black screens before the computer could boot to windows.
4.Presuming my Windows installation was corrupt, I configured a USB drive into a fresh Windows installation media device.

After this step I was able to get to Windows and create a basic user account. After setting up the account, I connected to the internet so I could install Windows and driver updates. During these updates, the computer crashes and goes to black screen again. Upon reboot, the computer will not successfully boot into Windows. I attempted startup repairs, restores, all system diagnostic tests, and still could not successfully boot to Windows without a crash to black screen. I repeated this entire process of resetting the computer and reinstalling windows multiple times attempting different sequences of updates. At one point, I was able to update Windows 10, recover the computer after crash, complete Windows 10 updates, and then update the RTX 2080 drivers from the website, and still it crashes to black screen.

Without success, I took the PC to Best Buy's Geek Squad for troubleshooting and repair, and I was told that the GPU has an apparent hardware failure, and that it is running at an exceedingly high temperature, even at idle, which causes the system to crash. They were unable to install the correct drivers for the graphics card because it failed before successful installation.

So now I am apparently out of warranty on this GPU so HP won't help me, and I gave Best Buy $220USD to tell me that the GPU is toasted. Does anybody know of any magical incantations or other measures to attempt a fix at home? 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Unfortunately your situation is something I have seen many times before, the Obelisk, although beautiful, suffers from one major issue, and that is ventilation. Even HP recognized this flaw and remediated it with the creation of the 30L, with bigger volume and added front 12mm fan intake.

What I would do to minimize the issues with the GPU is just move all the internals for a different case that offers a lot more airflow and potentially add a AIO solution for the GPU itself, of course if the GPU is not a complete toast. If its crashing at higher temperatures only, there is hope, since HP are using an nVidia reference design PCB on the GPU, you can easily mount an AIO from several brands, but I have used EVGA in the past, and it works great. 

HP Recommended

Hello Hwsense, thank you for your reply, I  your consideration. The team at Best Buy told me that the GPU runs at exceedingly high temperatures, even at idle and they couldn't get the drivers installed before  fails. I was under the impression that it was not salvageable. What do you think? Is there a test or inspection measures I can perform to determine whether it is has given up the ghost?

HP Recommended

Well... I personally wouldn't trust GeekSquad 100% and would have to test myself. But there is always a chance that the card is gone beyond the point of repair, again if it was me I would try to water cool it.

See if you can boot up in safe mode and see of there will be any difference, keep the side case window open and maybe point some external fan toward the GPU, keeping the temp as low as possible, this way you probably will be able to install the driver and see the temps. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.