Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I am also interested in upgrading the graphics card as well (looking at the rtx 2060 super 8gb). I just have sub question to the previous thread. You mentioned having to possibly upgrade the power supply, would the current motherboard be compatible or would that need to upgraded too? 

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello @Metrics 

We are supposed to start a new thread when asking for help, thus why I moved yours. 🙂

Is your system also the same OMEN 875-0000 series? The exact number wont matter.

If so, then NO you don't have to replace the motherboard.

Only two things to check are the PSU wattage and if its enough for the card upgrade, and if there is enough space available inside.  NOTE that most new cards now only use Open Air cooling and don't exhaust out the back like your current card should be. In such case, you "might" experience more heat on your CPU. Just have to keep an eye on the temps to see.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response. So if I upgrade the graphics card in my Omen 875-0014, should I  be looking to add some sort of cooling to offset the rising temp in the casing? The exact graphics card I was looking to get was the rtx 2060 super (8Gb vram). It requires 550w (i have 500 psu now) so im also looking to swap out the psu. If you have any recommendation as far as parts go Id appreciate it, if not its no biggie, I understand this is a forum and not personal shopper help lol. Either way, Thanks again for your help.

HP Recommended

Meh, no worries. Each of us act on our own personal decisions to help. 🙂

I would leave the heat sink as it is and see how it goes. The bigger issue is that heat is blowing up around the cooler, no matter what cooler you have.  Give it a test first.

As far as a PSU goes, You will probably see that the cost of a 550w and up to a 650w will be close to the same. If so, go bigger.

Stay with a good brand name with a good warranty and you will be golden. I like Corsair PSUs, but EVGA and SeaSonic are great also. It will take a full size ATX PSU and a new one should have the power connector for the new card, just make sure it does. I would consider a modular system over fixed cables for better cable management. That will help with the air flow also.

Just don't skimp on PSU and get what ever is cheapest and you wont be sorry. You can always ask about one you find here.

HP Recommended

For PSU, Im looking at the Corsair CX-M 650w ATX12V 2.4/EPS12V 2.92 80 Plus Power Modular supply. Comes with the 6 & 8 pin adapters cause i know ill need either/or for install. Thanks again for all your help. Its easy to get confused when looking through cards and upgrade options vs what your system is actually compatible with. 

HP Recommended

That would work. Newegg has it $20 off for the next several hours.

HP Recommended

The Corsair CX650M works like charm. I went bigger, but i faced size problems so i swapped it. I have two AIO (one for the CPU and another one for the GPU *adapter needed*), one usb adapter, and the commander pro by Corsair. The space is limited, but if you plan ahead and organize it, you can install whatever you want inside. I changed the case fan for one installed outside the chasis, again, just for space.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the heads up on the newegg.com deal.   Ive been researching the different brands of graphics cards for the rtx 2060 super series and the reviews seem to be all over the place. It seems like they all run hot and with the current airflow in my chasis additional fan(s) or adding liquid cooling seems inevitable. Listed below is the graphics card I’ve looking at. 

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 Super Windforce OC 8G Graphics Card, 2X Windforce Fans, 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6, Gv-N206SWF2OC-8GD Rev 2.0 Video Card

Ideally id like to go with the 3X windforce but i don’t think it would fit in the chasis.

I was more or less wondering what your thoughts were on the Gigabyte graphics card? 

HP Recommended

Thoughts on Gigabyte as far as brand or the size? You just have to measure to see if its length will fit. Im kind of doubting the 3 fan would fit without having one to check. Otherwise that 2 fan card would be fine. Like I said, its the heat you have to look at after the fact.

Liquid cooling for the CPU might be a something you would have to consider if so, yes. But I would wait and see how it works out first.

The brand is great as far as reliability. Now days, its more about picking the one that fits the look you like since they all use the same NVIDIA chipset.

HP Recommended

Keep in mind you may install an AIO to the GPU, that’s what i did on mine and NZXT’s adapter, it doesn’t pass 60ish degrees hot playing. Same with the CPU.

48AB5C50-8779-4075-AFBC-2FC36FCDEFA0.jpeg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.