Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

hey how do I change my ram speed 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The only thing I can think of why that's happening is... that Corsair Vengeance Ram has its SPD speed set to 2100MHz. SPD or serial presence detect is the default fail safe boot setting Corsair set for that ram. The Pavilion is reading that at boot and keeping that setting. That ram probably runs at 2666 with an XMP profile (I am assuming, not an expert on Corsair). For what ever reason, that Pavilion isn't cooperating with it and is keeping that built in speed as default.  

HP's don't have the ability to change memory speeds as their bios is locked. HP only guarantees their system to run on the ram they ship with. 

This is why I only suggest Crucial as a third party add on because they guarantee theirs to work with an HP or your money back. I cant speak for Corsair. You will have to ask them about their ram.

SPD speed.JPG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Your post was moved to its own thread since your question was not related to the topic.

HP computers have a locked bios. You cannot change the ram speed. If you install faster ram, the system will clock it down to the default speed. There is nothing you can do to change this. I'm sorry.

HP Recommended

well my ram is corsair rbg pro 2666mhz but defaults to 2100mhz

HP Recommended

how can i change that from defaulting to 2100mhz and get it to stay at 2666mhz

HP Recommended

The only thing I can think of why that's happening is... that Corsair Vengeance Ram has its SPD speed set to 2100MHz. SPD or serial presence detect is the default fail safe boot setting Corsair set for that ram. The Pavilion is reading that at boot and keeping that setting. That ram probably runs at 2666 with an XMP profile (I am assuming, not an expert on Corsair). For what ever reason, that Pavilion isn't cooperating with it and is keeping that built in speed as default.  

HP's don't have the ability to change memory speeds as their bios is locked. HP only guarantees their system to run on the ram they ship with. 

This is why I only suggest Crucial as a third party add on because they guarantee theirs to work with an HP or your money back. I cant speak for Corsair. You will have to ask them about their ram.

SPD speed.JPG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.