Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
omen obelisk 875-1040st
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi @Photoray002

Thank you. I have the same question with this desktop as @Coffee2222. I went ahead and marked the two slots with blue boxes:IMG-1026.jpg

The SSD1 slot came with an Intel Optane which I replaced with a 1TB NVMe SSD and installed Linux, which works perfectly.

The SSD2 slot has a foam pad sticking to the main board inside the black cover. Can I remove this pad and install another NVMe SSD on it? Is it possible to install MS Windows and make the desktop dual boot? 

If SSD2 cannot host a drive with OS, can I put a 2.5" SSD (with mounting bracket) into one of the two 3.5" hard drive bays (right side of SSD1, behind the case front panel) and install Windows for dual boot?

Thank you!

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hello @Duiyi19 

The specs show one slot is designated as PCIe 3x4, so it makes me suspicious that the other slot is sharing a couple of lanes for Sata perhaps? HP doesn't make it clear with their wording. 😡

m.2 slots.JPG

So I don't know if it will run full speed or not as I have not had anyone report back on any speed tests, etc. (I don't have access to that model).  But with prices as they are currently, you can get either an x2 or x4 stick for roughly the same price now days so I wouldn't worry about cost. 

NOTE: PLEASE do me a favor and test that slot and let me know how it holds up for speed. Use Crystal Disk Mark.

Yes you can also install Sata SSDs into the HDD cage. You will need an adapter 3.5 to 2.5 inch, to fit it with. There are many available and most of them all work.

I would assume you could boot from it, I see no reason it couldn't.

You would have to check with the guys on their forums for what ever flavor of Linux you use about dual booting. I know most flavors want Windows installed first.

HP Recommended

Hi @Photoray002,

Thank you. I haven't got a 2nd NVMe yet but was wondering about the possibility, since I'm not sure if the foam pad under SSD2 cover pasted to the main board is an indication of "Do not use me" XD. If I decide to go for one I'll definitely report a speed test here.

So I guess the only catch is that this SSD2 may not have full PCIe speed as the SSD1slot, but still can host one NVMe drive with Windows installed right?

For the order of OS installation, yes, I do see some articles online that recommend doing Windows first. Not sure if the Windows drive has to be in SSD1 slot though.

HP Recommended

I would put the Windows install in the first slot that you have working now and you will know its working at 3x4 speed.

For the slot with the cover, just take it off now and make sure the M.2 port is soldered to the board. Then you'll know its there.

HP Recommended

Do you have any further progress on this dual system?

Can I install Linus in HDD while install Linux at M2 SSD?

I also want to ask about steps how did you install linux? I didn't find drivers for linux for hp obelisk 875 10xx.

Work on obelisk 875-1055xt/ 3UQ93AA#ABA
HP Recommended

I haven't tried dual boot yet. My machine only has Linux on the main m.2 ssd since that's where I mainly work on.

It seems Linux (I'm using Mint 19, but I think the latest Ubuntu would be the same) has all drivers and everything works out of box, except a small glitch that the machine stalls when I try to shut down or reboot it, so I have to manually turn it off and then back on.

HP Recommended

BTW, how did you completely remove the side glass?

HP Recommended

I did. There is a big button on the back. Push it and the side glass comes off completely.

HP Recommended

what did you do about The SSD2 slot has a foam pad sticking to the main board inside the black cover?

I install the ssd up the pad and it work find but I afraid is wrong.

HP Recommended

I think it works.

What do you mean and where is something wrong?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.