Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 880-149no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I bought Omen 880-149no which has pretty loud cpu cooler (fan). I would like to switch it to a quieter cooler.

My Omen has Tampa2 motherboard. Someone wrote that the backplate is glued to the motherboard and cannot be replaced. I also read that the backplates mounting holes aren’t standars sizes. If that information is correct I should look for a model that will fit on those preinstalled mounting holes.

Does anyone know which cpu cooler fits on that backplate which came with Tampa2? I don’t want to buy any HP cooler. Someone wrote that Noctua wont fit because the screws doesn’t fit to the backplate.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Nope, Cryorig H7 cannot be installed because HP’s custom backplate + cpu locking mechanism. If you remove HP’s backplate  you need to find original lga 1151 cpu locks mounting backplate.

But Alpenföhn Ben Nevis fits perfectly HP’s backplate. So I recommend it. Just installed one to my Omen :Sunglasses:

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

I build new PCs and repair/upgrade PCs. One of the more difficult component upgrades is replacing a CPU cooler. You see problems such as the one you are facing. But one also has to check replacement air cooled fan/heatsink dimensions around the CPU socket and chassis' clearance. Liquid CPU cooling systems may require USB 2.0 and SATA connections in addition to the MB fan connection. Then you must also check radiator/fan size to verify the system can be mounted in the chassis.

I have never upgraded a CPU cooler on this motherboard (MB) or this HP chassis.

It is doubtful HP has glued the backplate to the MB. The MB backplate holes should be standard size. But HP does sometimes modify the placement of the backplate mounting holes. A standard Intel CPU cooler backplate may not line up with the holes on the MB.

The only way to verify , unless someone else in this forum has experience changing the CPU cooler, is to measure the backplate mounting hole distances around the CPU socket. Compare to alternate CPU coolers for a match.

It is always recommended to use the backplate provided by the CPU cooling system manufacturer. This means you must disassemble the system and remove the MB from the chassis if HP does not provide a removable chassis side panel to access the back of the MB. Many HP cases only have one removable side panel giving access to the front of the motherboard.

Your PC is very new. You could void the HP warranty if something bad happens.

You should have a local PC tech take a look unless you like to do this stuff.

Regards

HP Recommended

I just ordered Cryorig H7. Let’s see is it possible to remove the backplate. Hope so.. I’ll let you know.

HP Recommended

Nope, Cryorig H7 cannot be installed because HP’s custom backplate + cpu locking mechanism. If you remove HP’s backplate  you need to find original lga 1151 cpu locks mounting backplate.

But Alpenföhn Ben Nevis fits perfectly HP’s backplate. So I recommend it. Just installed one to my Omen :Sunglasses:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.