Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN X DESKTOP - 900-010xt
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Will a Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 7 Motherboard fit in my HP Omen x 900 case? and will a Noctua NH-D15 cpu cooler fit in the case aswell?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

HP usually uses uATX motherboards in systems.

It appears the Omen 900 series chassis is a uATX chassis. You can view a Flash video on how to remove/install a motherboard in an Omen 900 here.

An ATX motherboard (too big) will not install in a uATX chassis.

Noctua NH-D15 heatsink/fan will usually install in an ATX motherboard socket 1151 motherboard provided the chassis can accommodate the height of the heatsink.

You have to measure the existing motherboard or check motherboard tray dimensions and verify a 165mm heatsink/fan will not cause chassis clearance issues.

Tom

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi

HP usually uses uATX motherboards in systems.

It appears the Omen 900 series chassis is a uATX chassis. You can view a Flash video on how to remove/install a motherboard in an Omen 900 here.

An ATX motherboard (too big) will not install in a uATX chassis.

Noctua NH-D15 heatsink/fan will usually install in an ATX motherboard socket 1151 motherboard provided the chassis can accommodate the height of the heatsink.

You have to measure the existing motherboard or check motherboard tray dimensions and verify a 165mm heatsink/fan will not cause chassis clearance issues.

Tom

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, 

This is the motherboard I chose instead https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813144108 

HP Recommended

Hi Jessie

Make sure you look at micro ATX motherboards and verify the MB mount points line up with the 900 MB standoffs if you decide to change the MB. You may be able to move or remove standoffs in this chassis. I have never built a system with the Omen 900 so am not sure on what you can do with this system.

You will have to verify the MSI board will install in this chassis correctly.

One misplaced standoff will cause you to have a bad (fried components) and very expensive day.

Again, the Noctua may not fit in this chassis or on a micro ATX motherboard.

Are you buying an Intel (Coffee Lake) processor? The Z370 chipset is not backwards compatible with Skylake or Kaby Lake processors.

Tom

HP Recommended
Yes I am buying an 8700k, after further research it appears an NH-D15S would fit the uATX board better as it would not block the first pcie port.
HP Recommended

Hi Jessie

Sounds like a plan.

I just built an 8700k system.

ASUS Maximus X Hero ATX MB

Arctic Freezer i32

Corsair 200R

Double check the standoff situation.

Good luck. Don't bend CPU socket pins.

Tom

HP Recommended
As far as compatibility with the case and the msi board I'm still uncertain as I thought any uATX board would fit. Perhaps you can help me figure this out as this is my first time doing a MB swap, this is the MB currently in my system https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05258881
HP Recommended

Hi Jessie

Sure.

Look at the HP motherboard mount points. You have eight points on the HP Munich-S MB.

One mounting point located in lower left corner of the board is offset.

Now verify the MSI MB has the same mounting point count and configuration.

You may be able to remove or move standoffs on the 900 chassis. I have never worked with this chassis.

You don't want a standoff touching the motherboard surface. This is big time bad news.

Since HP sells this chassis in barebones condition I would imagine you will not have a problem. It should comply with uATX standards.

Verify and all will go as planned.

Tom

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.