Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnderEfEx
6 4 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Replacing Motherboard in OMEN 870-204na.

Omen 870-204na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. 

My question is that can the motherboard in these Omen desktops be replaced and lets say if I was to get a ASUS or a MSI Gaming Motherboard would all the components I have currently work in the new motherboard and would the LED's on the front of the chassis work with the new motherboard? (sorry I just really like the LED's on the front of the chassis)

Thanks. 

5 REPLIES 5
Level 12
Level 12
5,761 5,749 544 1,203
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi EnderEfEx

Why would you replace the motherboard?

You will totally void your HP warranty if you are in warranty.

We previously talked about upgrading the power supply and the graphics card.

You must be unhappy about some aspect of your Omen. Is it noisy or does it run hot? Do you want to overclock?

You will have to verify the new MB mount points line up with the HP chassis MB standoffs. You will zap the MB if a chassis standoff touches the motherboard. The number of standoffs must match the MB mounting points.

You will have to buy a uATX MB.

You will have to verify the new MB front panel headers will work with HP's front panel connectors.

Lastly, you will have to verify the MB RGB headers will work with HP connectors to get front chassis LED's working.

If I were in your situation I would just build a new PC.

Tom

0 Kudos
EnderEfEx
6 4 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply I asked this question simply because I wanted to know if it was possible without voiding the warranty and also because on the specifications it says that the motherboard (Odense2-k) supports up to 16GB RAM. I was just wondering if 16GB RAM will be enough possibly for the next 4-5 years at least.

0 Kudos
Level 12
Level 12
5,761 5,749 544 1,203
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

You are welcome.

Good to hear you are happy with your HP.

16 GB of RAM should be fine for many years down road.

Tom

0 Kudos
EnderEfEx
6 4 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you, just one quick question how do you stop automatic driver updates since everytime I update my Radeon drivers, Windows 10 keeps on reverting it to a driver from 2016 which is obviously outdated.

0 Kudos
Level 12
Level 12
5,761 5,749 544 1,203
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

You are welcome.

What version of Windows 10 are you running?

I used to have this problem running versions1511 or 1607. Have not had this issue on 1709.

Microsoft has a little tool called the "show or hide updates troubleshooter" that may be able to fix this annoying problem.

It may not work on the newer version of Windows 10.

Tom

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation