Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Hp Omen Obeilisk 875-0049
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi! I have a hp omen obelisk and it comes with an i7 8700. In the future I want to upgrade it to a i9 9900k, but the motherboard only supports up to 65W processors. The i9 takes up 90W so I think I’ll have to  replace the motherboard to use it. Does anyone know if this will screw up anything on my computer, or will it just run normally? Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Siamang , welcome to the forum.

HP has their motherboards made to their specifications.  Therefore, they are not necessarily the same as a retail board.  The main issues that I have noticed are with the front connectors for the case.  Also, you will have to buy a full version of Windows for it to install properly.  You can't use HP Recovery media.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

But can’t you just wire the front ports to the new motherboard? I’m only a high school student so I don’t really know a lot about this stuff but from the the pc builds I watched on YouTube it’s just plugged into the motherboard. Also, did you replace your own motherboard?

HP Recommended

I agree with Geekster. Yes you can plug in the connectors for the power switch like you can those custom builds you mentioned. But in general, standard motherboards have marked power connectors that usually fit a standard cases connectors universally. In other words, they can easily be identified and connected.

But with an OEM build like an HP, the wiring can be proprietary. The connectors might not be marked and might even be on one harness, not individual. In those cases, you would have to manually map out what wire went where. Not user friendly.

The Obelisk on the other hand, the power switch, USB connectors and audio should all fit standard. But it will have a lighting control connector that probably wont be on a standard motherboard. I don't know if you will be able to get that working as I haven't had an Obelisk in my hands yet.

Here is a video that will hopefully give you a better idea what to expect.

http://supportvideos.ext.hp.com/detail/video/5828230611001/how-to-replace-the-motherboard-for-omen-b...

Edited to add:

Just a thought, if you really need to go up to a 9900K over this setup and have to replace the cpu, motherboard, cooling and another copy of Windows, you might as well bite the bullet and build a whole new system with a new case. The Obelisk is nice, but designed for what is has already. You will want to consider a more efficiently cooled case that can fit a larger cpu cooler like a double fanned liquid All in One radiator. Especially if you're going to overclock it. Then consider adding an RTX graphics card also. Otherwise, you bought a nice 8700 that's going to waste. Just my opinion. 😉

Just a note: We are volunteers here, not HP employees. Hope it helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.