Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 690-0024
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've been using my 690-0024 gaming desktop for a while and it has held up well. However, some time after the warranty ended, it became unresponsive and didn't boot. I took it to a tech support place and they diagnosed it as a motherboard problem. After replacing the motherboard and it working again, I was told that the power supply was insufficient for the graphics card, causing the motherboard damage. They said if I wanted to prevent this from happening in the future, I would need to downgrade my graphics card or get a new power supply. I didn't want to downgrade, so I looked into power supplies. Unfortunately, nothing I've found so far helps and I'm getting mixed reception on whether the supplied PSU has a proprietary fit or not. Is the PSU fit irregularly? If so, what HP PSUs do I have to pick from? If not, what form factor should I use?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@pixelguy627,

Opps. Here it is:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Knowledge-Base/Power-Supply-Cross-Reference-for-specific-model...

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@pixelguy627,

Here is your unit,  stock 400W and RX 550 card.   The PSU used is an HP proprietary design.

Here is a spreadsheet of PSU model numbers, up to the max 500W.   What GPU did you install?

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

@wb2001 wrote:

Here is your unit,  stock 400W and RX 550 card.   The PSU used is an HP proprietary design. What GPU did you install?

The link you provided is the right model, however, my computer came with an RX 580, not a 550, as is listed in the link you sent. I never installed any other GPUs, I've stuck w/ the one that came in it since I got it.

@wb2001 wrote:

Here is a spreadsheet of PSU model numbers, up to the max 500W.

I'm afraid I don't see a spreadsheet anywhere, though that would be very useful.

HP Recommended

@wb2001, would you be able to send the link to the spreadsheet you mentioned?

HP Recommended

@pixelguy627,

Opps. Here it is:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Knowledge-Base/Power-Supply-Cross-Reference-for-specific-model...

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

Thanks, I managed to get a 500W power supply that sounds like it'll work with my computer. Thank you for the help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.