Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 30L Desktop - GT13-0380t CTO

SPECS:

Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz 3.70 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080

48 Gigs of DDR4 Ram

x1 256gb SSD

2x 2TB HDD

ISSUE IN DETAIL:

For about 6 months, my PC ran PERFECT, no problems. But now when I am playing ANY games, my screen will randomly go black, but my PC stays on. This results in me having to re-boot the machine. I have FULLY updated my drivers and done many things I have seen online. I took my PC to Office Depot (I saw they are a HP Repair Center) and the worker ran a diagnostics test, he said there were NO hardware issues. I am desperate to get back gaming and streaming. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

Four possible causes are if all drivers and firmware are up to date:

Graphics card

RAM

CPU

Power supply

I noticed you have 48 GBs of RAM. The base system ships from HP with 16 GBs of RAM. Did you add RAM after purchase? I would go back to factory configuration to see if the problem goes away.

Run System File Checker to check for corrupt system files using admin Command Prompt:

Enter the following: 

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Then run this command after first command has completed:

sfc /scannow

HP Recommended

Testing that now, I did add ram, but the issue was happening prior to the addition.

HP Recommended

Did it, I will test if it fixed my issue

HP Recommended

This didnt fix it, any other ways to go about fixing it?

HP Recommended

Hi

Try HP hardware tests again. Start the PC. Tap ESC key. Select F2 key. Run system and component tests. I don't think it is a CPU thermal problem because the PC would normally shut down. But the graphics card could have a problem.

Download and run HWiNFO portable, free, at this site:

https://www.hwinfo.com/download/ 

You can check all component temps with this: CPU, system board, RAM, graphics, disk drives.

Are you in warranty? Contact HP for warranty assistance.

It looks like a hardware problem. One way to verify this is to back up data and do a clean operating system installation.

Do Windows updates after a clean installation. Update the graphics drivers. Test again. No change would indicate a hardware problem.

I would try factory RAM to test stability if you do a clean OS installation or try it again now. Then try only the new RAM. Mixing RAM modules can cause weird stuff.

You may have to swap in different components, RAM, power supply, Graphics card. Try a different video cable and monitor.

You could have a MB problem. The PC seems to be unstable under load.

Download and run Heaven benchmark in windowed mode 

https://benchmark.unigine.com/heaven 

with HWiFO running. See if you can spot something before losing video.

HP Recommended

Okay, I ran the tests, it came back with no problems. I will try HWiNFO

HP Recommended

Unfortunately I am out of warranty, is there still a way I can send it in?

HP Recommended

hi

check, and try if possible

Solved: Losing HDMI signal when launching a game. - HP Support Community - 8537185

HWMONITOR | Softwares | CPUID

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi

Check this HP site for assistance https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact/help/desktop 

Out of warranty service can be expensive and you may have to pay shipping costs.

You might have a local PC technician look at your PC if you are out of warranty and you can't find the cause of the problem. The local tech can troubleshoot by reducing the PC to a minimum configuration and swapping in components

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.