Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
unknown
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Trying to cover as many bases as I can

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@DouglasBW 

The biggest difference between an OEM like HP and a smaller more custom built PC from Digital Storm or CyberPower is the motherboards.

You typically pay less for HP's as they are mass produced on a large scale. But the caveat is the motherboards are designed for that specific product number (proprietary) and don't typically have the extra ports you might want for various things.

HP Bios are locked also. There is very little customization available. You cannot go into the bios and adjust timings, etc if you are an enthusiast looking to overclock CPU and Memory.

Digi Strm for example, uses name brand Mobo's and are not locked.

So you have to weigh the difference in cost vs tweaking ability. Most people who purchase an Omen are not typically looking to do anything other than what it was already designed for.

As far as Omen Specs, The HP Store has options that are available at the time. Whats available can change randomly.

https://www.omen.com/us/en/desktops.html

If you need more info, let me know.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@DouglasBW,

Silly question.  What are your needs.  Toss $2500 on the table, and I can suggest something.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

$2500 is out of my reach. I do have some builds in mind closer to $1000. 

Tower,600w, i5-9400F, GTX1660Ti6gn, MSI B-450GPCarbon with WiFi, SSD 240 M2, HDD Barricuda 1TB,

Digital storm is my first choice but Newcomer Xidax will throw in a optical drive and a wireless board and mouse.

I am pausing my buy whilst I do more research. I like the OMEN line and am trying to learn more of past buyers,mixed reviews .

You assistance is wonderful    Doug

HP Recommended

@DouglasBW 

The biggest difference between an OEM like HP and a smaller more custom built PC from Digital Storm or CyberPower is the motherboards.

You typically pay less for HP's as they are mass produced on a large scale. But the caveat is the motherboards are designed for that specific product number (proprietary) and don't typically have the extra ports you might want for various things.

HP Bios are locked also. There is very little customization available. You cannot go into the bios and adjust timings, etc if you are an enthusiast looking to overclock CPU and Memory.

Digi Strm for example, uses name brand Mobo's and are not locked.

So you have to weigh the difference in cost vs tweaking ability. Most people who purchase an Omen are not typically looking to do anything other than what it was already designed for.

As far as Omen Specs, The HP Store has options that are available at the time. Whats available can change randomly.

https://www.omen.com/us/en/desktops.html

If you need more info, let me know.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for the advice.

HP Recommended

Custom ASUS does sound intriguing. Is that your machine or one you found?

What is the cost of the system?

HP Recommended

Really thanks a ton. I learned long ago to stay away from propitiatory stuff.

Future being uncertain and all.

HP Recommended

The link I gave is for the HP Store and they have models that you can configure what hardware is put into them from factory.

I'm not sure what you mean by ASUS?

If you are not in a hurry, keep in mind the 10th gen Intel processors will be released in approx June-ish. 4th gen Ryzen (AMD) will release around September-ish.

Hope it helps.

PS, if your goal is gaming... I would encourage you to drop the i5 business and go for an i7 with multi-threading. It will help to keep your system more relevant as time goes on. Some call it (Future Proofing). 16GB of ram for gaming is really a must have now days depending. Just my Opinion.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.