Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 870-224
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey Hello,

I hope this post finds you in the middle of a wonderful day!

My question regarding this thread is 'Did it work??'

My oldest daughter is financing the rebuild of my youngest daughters' HP Omen 870-224, I gifted her a few years ago at Christmas.

We have examined this thread - https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Desktops/Upgrades-Replacements-for-Omen-870-224/td-p/7685304   and have ordered the parts recommended by https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/1042 

The SSD and the RaM upgrades will be here this week, the 7700 non K will be here before the 15th of Sept, 2022.

Now that it's been a couple of tumultuous years, I am wondering if there were any other idea's or opinions regarding the upgrades to this omen computer?

Any opinions, help, input or responses would be awesome.

Thanks, 

Blythe

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Arrgh <

This was supposed to tack on the end of the thread, so sorry!

The links are there, i hope a mod forgives my transgressions!

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

hi

sorry, if now everything is already on the way, difficult to answer you!
you may not need to replace everything
the computer is no longer very recent!
The most important point would have been to know what use is intended exactly, depending on some elements may not need to be replaced
Proceed step by step, for example, just replace , add memory, possibly the ssd

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-870-200/13687063/document/c05389962

• Amount: 8 GB
  • Speed: PC4-17000 MB/s
  • Type: DDR4-2133

hdd

• Size: 1 TB
  • Interface: SATA

16 gb and the ssd here, a good start

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

@Blythespirit,

Welcome to our HP User Forum!

Have you considered to upgrade your graphics card?

Unless I am mistaken, a standard OMEN by HP Desktop PC - 870-224 (Z5M58AA) with an Odense2-K (SSID: 82F1) motherboard is fitted with a GTX 1060 3GB GDDR5 GPU.

With your 500 watt power supply (AND an i7-7700 processor AND upgraded RAM) you can do a heck of a lot better such as with a GeForce RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6. Reference link: https://www.nvidia.com/en-me/geforce/graphics-cards/rtx-2060/.

Consider the huge graphics/gaming performance gains you are going to enjoy with a GeForce 2060 compared to the mediocre stock GTX 1060: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2060-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-3GB/4034vs3646.

Look, from one forum member to another: you can get this GPU for the surprisingly low price of $229 here, for example: https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-GAMING-Graphics-06G-P4-2062-KR/dp/B07NXYT866/ref=sr_1_2?keywords....

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

no news, good news...
I was just waiting for an answer here, in order to know what was necessary or not

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Desktops/Upgrades-Replacements-for-Omen-870-224/td-p/7685304
@Blythespirit  indicates having already followed what was recommended here, so finally ordered already or not, because information about graphics cards, have already been mentioned in the links
I know a lot of girls play, but maybe no need for a new graphics card here..
And if so, to see what the games/needs are

even $200 for some is still quite high
Afterwards, it's just to avoid an expense that may not be necessary.

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

@Prométhée,

Very true, quote: "I know a lot of girls play, but maybe no need for a new graphics card here.." if gaming is restricted to, say: Minecraft or The Sims 4 -but especially when young women branch out to play, say: "Horizon: Zero Dawn" or "Kena: Bridge of Spirits", it would be very nice indeed to play with high FPS ('frames per second') at smooth & fluid (ultra) high graphics settings -when using a decent 1080p -or better still, a 1440p monitor.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

My oldest daughter is financing the rebuild of my youngest daughters' HP Omen 870-224, I gifted her a few years ago at Christmas.

yes, hence my answers, because here it can be a very young girl, a teenager..
rather than taking out all the options, because I could have done it, without taking this into account, I find it more useful to know what is going on, before taking out a whole range of advice, things to change, etc.
What can finally disconcert a user, not too comfortable with a computer
Otherwise, I would directly recommend an rtx graphics card, or even wait for the new generation

https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/rtx-4000-release-date-price-specs-benchmarks

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Oh my, ok, yes she does have a GTX 1060 3GB GDDR5 GPU installed..

But let's back up a touch, My eldest daughter purchased the aforementioned parts and they arrived last week.

My teenage daughter is big into school government, a social butterfly etc etc.. so, while I wanted her to be involved I ended up doing everything while she was at homecoming this game or that event...

The machine was so locked up with crap I just ended up reinstalling windows and junking all files, apps, games.

Once i had a fresh windows install completed the computer sped up noticeably.

I then took it outside and introduced it to my air compressor.

Installing the RAM was as easy as it sounds.

The I7-7700 came with a cooler but the stand offs looked to be a pain so I used the HP installed cooler, as it was a lot beefier than the Intel cooler.

The SSD my daughter ordered in was a Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, I had to dig around for a SATA cable and at first the SSD wasn't recognized by windows explorer it did come up in control panel.

After i downloaded and installed Samsung/magician it was a breeze.

It's been a while since i had seen a BIOS like that and at first dragging the new Boot drive into the first position in the order seemed clunky and messed me up a little.

Once i had a new disk with windows installed in the right boot order and verified the CPU and RAM were recognized i did a couple restarts and all is good.

My daughter is pleased

HP Recommended

'With your 500 watt power supply (AND an i7-7700 processor AND upgraded RAM) you can do a heck of a lot better such as with a GeForce RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6."

Will the PSU be able to handle a 2060?, I'm a bit dubious.

Also, what would be the most powerful GPU i could put in that system and be confident of it's reliability?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.