Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 25L
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have had my pc for about 4 months and everything was working good until today when I tried to start up my pc instead of taking me to windows to log in it took me to a screen saying sparekey recovery I have typed in the admin password and it says success and reboots my pc but it takes me back to the sparekey recovery screen again. I have tried to update bios and again the same problem where it reboots and takes me back to the sparekey recovery screen I have also tried to reset the sparekey to defaults in bios and still the same problem. I even tried to boot from a usb be to reinstall the pc but it won’t work either. How can I get past the sparekey recovery and why did it even show up in the first place ??

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @NuoXy 

If resetting the bios didn't work, you will need to contact HP Warranty and do a claim.

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/contact/desktops

HP Recommended

Yea nothing works at all even resetting the bios there is one last way  I can try to reset it which is taking the battery off the motherboard then put it back on and it should reset the bios but if that doesn’t work there is nothing else I can do at all and I don’t want to spend like £200 on a new motherboard and cpu cooler since the pc is barley 4 months old so I will try do what you said thanks for the response. 

HP Recommended

It worked... fixed it by taking the battery out of the motherboard for a few minutes then putting it back in which reset the bios completely turns out My pc tried to do a windows update while it was off without me knowing and crashed in the middle of it. 

HP Recommended

Nevermind worked for about 5 minutes I pressed update and shut down on the pc and then it happened again with this sparekey trash looks like I need a new motherboard  without this stupid sparekey thing what the hell is wrong with HP now I’m gonna have to pay £200 for a new motherboard and cooler when the pc is barley 4 months old and already cost £1050 

I don’t want a hp motherboard at all I’m guessing it’s not compatible with the new windows update only a guess 😕

HP Recommended

I have no way of knowing why the failure occurred. Ya HP will only install another HP motherboard. But if they are willing to do it under warranty, why not go ahead and have them do it since its paid for? I doubt the issue would happen again. If it was common, the forum would be slammed with the issue.

Edit: provided they will do it under warranty. I assume they aren't going to charge you for it?

If they are, I can offer to have this thread escalated to another agent to see if anything can be done. Let me know.

That's all I can offer form a forum standpoint. Sorry

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.